The Student Room Group

Mechanics as help please

Hey, I am completely stuck, can someone help me please !
Help with 2 and 3 please

Attachment not found

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I mean 3 and 4 please
Original post by Mya_oty
Hey, I am completely stuck, can someone help me please !
Help with 2 and 3 please

Attachment not found.
Reply 3
image-b615dca2-2a32-4a3a-9c30-c116f931bf8f2279334433045917440-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Mya_oty
I mean 3 and 4 please

Question 3 then. Do you understand what is going on with description of the situation?
Reply 5
A little, my understanding is that the bird is in the air going forwards in a straight parallel to the road.
Original post by Mya_oty
A little, my understanding is that the bird is in the air going forwards in a straight parallel to the road.

Correct, at least, the bird is trying to. There is wind going in a certain direction with a certain magnitude that prevents the bird from actually going anywhere.

In what direction must the wind be blowing? And with what magnitude? Hence the force of the wind is...?
Reply 7
How would I work out the magnitude though? Would it be like a triangle?
Original post by Mya_oty
How would I work out the magnitude though? Would it be like a triangle?

The bird is stationary, so it is not accelerating, so the net force is 0. The only this can happen is if the magnitude of the wind is...?
Reply 9
20N?
Original post by Mya_oty
20N?

Yes.
Q4

You need to force for a given distance. What other quantity do you need to complete an equation that links these? And can you calculate that quantity from the first part?
Reply 12
Ah okay great. So the answer would just be 20N
Reply 13
@Miss B' acceleration?
For a 'vector' what else would you need to specify?
Reply 15
Direction? @RDKGames
Original post by Mya_oty
Ah okay great. So the answer would just be 20N

As it stands, the vector quantity says that this force is going in the same direction as the bird. So you need to adjust that so that it is going against it.
If you needed F=ma then you would need to know a time really to make acceleration tie in.

... = force x distance

F=distance...
Reply 18
Okay so my answer would be that the wind is going at 20N in the opposite direction due to it being an equilibrium and the bird being stationary it has to equal 0
Reply 19
@Miss B' so to find the deceleration I could use Accleration = Force / Mass ? And then I could use that value to work out how long is would take to get the car to rest at 100m

Quick Reply

Latest