The Student Room Group

English Literature Degree

General question - I have been offered to resume my place at uni to study undergraduate English Literature after dropping out due to depression earlier this year. I will start my first year over again. I am just wondering whether it is a course worth pursuing career-wise.

Has anyone graduated with an English Literature degree and gone on to a graduate scheme? I had initially gone into the degree to pursue teaching but I am unsure whether it is still a worthwhile and rewarding profession.
Hi well I’m in year 11 and I am working towards doing English Literature at uni. So I do know that with a English literature degree you can do many things for example I am looking into a career of Marketing but I do know it is a degree that opens many doors to many careers such as : teaching , law , marketing , journalism, PR, finance accountant and other that I can’t think of off the top of my head. However what Alevels did you achieve because that could also help you to maybe take in consideration other degrees or even doing an apprenticeship if university wasn’t for you because now a days they have a wide variety of options.
Original post by MoglieJ
General question - I have been offered to resume my place at uni to study undergraduate English Literature after dropping out due to depression earlier this year. I will start my first year over again. I am just wondering whether it is a course worth pursuing career-wise.

Has anyone graduated with an English Literature degree and gone on to a graduate scheme? I had initially gone into the degree to pursue teaching but I am unsure whether it is still a worthwhile and rewarding profession.

Hi @MoglieJ

The beauty of an English Degree is the fact that it is very broad, teaches you a range of skills which are transferrable to many careers. I studied english literature and am now doing a marketing masters as I want to pursue a career in business and marketing. What are you interested in? With an english degree you can go into journalism, marketing, PR, HR, teaching, Law; there are many possibilities. Maybe take some time to research different career paths to get a better idea.

Hope this helps,
Habiba

Quick Reply

Latest