The Student Room Group

How to get rid of brassy hair?!

I have dark brown hair, then went to the hairdressers to get full head highlights as I want light hair instead of my usual dark brown hair, it is brassy and ginger in places, what should I do? Would a ash brown or ash blonde help?! :frown:
Reply 1
Purple shampoo :smile:
Original post by Becky061197
I have dark brown hair, then went to the hairdressers to get full head highlights as I want light hair instead of my usual dark brown hair, it is brassy and ginger in places, what should I do? Would a ash brown or ash blonde help?! :frown:

Brassy tones often occur in dark brown hair with red or orange undertones, I would suggest either using a purple shampoo and conditioner or a toner to neutralise the orange tones. Just make sure you thoroughly read all the instructions to avoid any issues. If you’re really worried about the tone, make sure you avoid sitting in the sun as UV rays can make your highlights more brassy. If you live in an area with hard water you can install a water softener with an iron filter to your shower, as hard water contains iron deposits that can add to brassy colour.
This happened to me when I first started getting my hair highlighted and my natural hair does have brassy undertones anyway. Now I have bleach and still use dark purple swapo every other day. I think the one I use is called provoke and it’s really dark purple and I leave it on for 5 mine and then wash off and stops any ashiness and keeps my hair ashy :smile:

Quick Reply