Teesside or Plymouth University for dentistry/ dental therapy?

Watch this thread
Dwights7
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Which university is better overal when it comes to dentistry? I want to know which is best in terms of teaching and job prospects. I’ve seen both campuses they seem good but it’s hard to pick. Which would be best for me as student to learn and grow from it. If anyone could help that’d be great. The most important points to me are, which is best in terms of progression, faclilities, support and job prospects? If you could help
University of Plymouth
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dwights7)
Which university is better overal when it comes to dentistry? I want to know which is best in terms of teaching and job prospects. I’ve seen both campuses they seem good but it’s hard to pick. Which would be best for me as student to learn and grow from it. If anyone could help that’d be great. The most important points to me are, which is best in terms of progression, faclilities, support and job prospects? If you could help
Hi Dwights7, I hope you're well!

In terms of facilities, I can't speak for Teesside, but I can speak for us! The Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry is a great segment of our uni. Did you know that all three schools within the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry were ranked first in the country for research outputs? Here are some answers to the topics you've asked about These are all cited in our undergraduate prospectus (2018,page 243 onwards) and on our online profiles!

Teaching: Plymouth is the largest provider of healthcare education in the South West, and it is the leading centre in Europe for pioneering research into low-grade brain tumours. Our three core aims are exceptional clinical learning, strong social engagement, and world class research. Wehave a close relationship with NHS partners, and allow students to experience a rich variety of placements in primary and secondary care. The Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) is a patient centred course delivered in a supportive and research rich environment. Clinical training begins in your first week with visits to local dental surgeries, and extends through the course, where you'll be exposed to patients with a wide range of oral health conditions. The course is 41% exams and 59% coursework.

Job Prospects: Our courses are developed in partnership with professional bodies and employers to ensure you have the skills to follow a range of exciting graduate career pathways. From our main intro page, it states that 100% of Medicine and Healthcare Science students achieved employment in 2017!

Facilities: Benefit from treating patients in the state-of-the-art facilities managed by the Peninsula Dental Social Enterprise (PDSE), a Community Interest Company (CIC). Of course, you'll also be in plenty of placements with their own on-site facilities. We offer students ultramodern facilities and are committed to producing dental practitioners with clinical skills of the highest order and a strong sense of social awareness. Our state-of-the-art Dental Education Facilities provide a substantial service to over 10,000 NHS patients per year.

Support: Not only will you have strong connections with the university, but support is often provided university wide through tutorials, emailing, etc. When on placement, you will have a mentor you can contact. In addition to this, our Student Wellbeing Services, UPSU Sabbaticals and Wellbeing Centre can offer you help with a wide range of issues, such as counselling, modified assessment practice, mental health support and more.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, please do feel free to ask. You can find out more on these links:

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/schools/p...l-of-dentistry
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/prospectus/request
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsXjVdyeR4c
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-l...ay/counselling
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-l...llbeing-centre

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
11.7%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.32%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (16)
17.02%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
24.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
21.28%

Watched Threads