The Student Room Group

Graduation: I don't want to go, should I miss it?

Hi everyone,

I'm coming to the end of med school now and I do not feel like going to graduation at all. Should I skip it or not?

This is my second time at uni (yep, I'm a graduate). I've really enjoyed my first degree (in a different uni and city) - it wasn't all stars and bliss but I enjoyed it - it was 3 fantastic years.

Now at my current uni, I've not had the best of times here. Apart from some individuals and moments, overall I've to say things weren't great at all - the student atmosphere was very fake and non-supportive and the course/uni here was rather disappointing in most areas.

I always try to see the goodness in everything around me but it was very tough to pick up good things over here.
Don't get me wrong, I don't have a grudge against anything/anyone. I do like the small city where the university is situated (generally relaxed and friendly), and the various things you can do, and some lovely friends and seniors I have had the luck to meet.
It's just...apart from them, my whole experience here has been terrible and I can't wait to leave.

Will I regret not attending graduation? I've thought about that, my answer is: I don't know but I don't think so.
Will my parents be disappointed? They've been to my first graduation. They're not a fan of my current uni too. Tbh, I don't think they'll care.

Biggest incentives for me to attend events like this is so I can meet friends, colleagues and mentors, celebrate with them and wish them well. I've opportunities to do that (a few of us have organised gatherings and meetings etc, got holidays planned and etc).
I'd appreciate have a solid holiday before F1 to focus on family and friends tbh.

Now the question is, should I go? Or should I just leave it. I don't feel like I want to go, but part of my feels guilty for not going.

What would you guys' advice be? I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I only went to both of mine for my parents' sake and going didn't change my opinion - I didn't want to, and I certainly don't feel that I'd have missed much by staying away. If you don't want to go, don't feel compelled to.
My second one, could've done without. Third one: was for my parents and just to draw a line under a tough experience. Idk, have you time to dwell on your options?
You don't need to go at all. Do want you wish and be happy.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
I only went to both of mine for my parents' sake and going didn't change my opinion - I didn't want to, and I certainly don't feel that I'd have missed much by staying away. If you don't want to go, don't feel compelled to.

Hi there! Thanks a lot for your honesty. It's a good shout that we shouldn't feel obliged to (just 'cos it's the "norm", or "everyone goes" etc).
Reply 5
Original post by DrSocSciences
My second one, could've done without. Third one: was for my parents and just to draw a line under a tough experience. Idk, have you time to dwell on your options?

Hey, cheers for sharing! Yup I've time, about a month, so hopefully will figure out an answer haha! I think atm, the biggest factor that will convince me to go is if people dear to me want to go (i.e. my family, and my best friend).

Original post by Secret Soul
You don't need to go at all. Do want you wish and be happy.

Thanks! Will certainly keep that in mind (:
Didn't go to mine. Unlikely to got to my second. False fun *******s.

Haven't regretted it.
I didn't want to go to mine and would not have regretted going one bit. But similar to other posters above, your graduation day isn't just for you, it is for all of your family too, arguably moreso. If they aren't fussed then don't sweat it. Only you can guage how much it means to them, but if it is important to them and they have helped you through uni it might be worth going.

I was more annoyed that I had no choice but to pay for the robes and mortarboards whilst being absolutely broke. I do wish the GMC would have found a way to do the charges AFTER your first paycheck but hey-ho.
Original post by Notoriety
Didn't go to mine. Unlikely to got to my second. False fun *******s.

Haven't regretted it.

Did you go to Oxford or Cambridge?
Original post by physicseastldn
Did you go to Oxford or Cambridge?

People are so strange.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I'm coming to the end of med school now and I do not feel like going to graduation at all. Should I skip it or not?

This is my second time at uni (yep, I'm a graduate). I've really enjoyed my first degree (in a different uni and city) - it wasn't all stars and bliss but I enjoyed it - it was 3 fantastic years.

Now at my current uni, I've not had the best of times here. Apart from some individuals and moments, overall I've to say things weren't great at all - the student atmosphere was very fake and non-supportive and the course/uni here was rather disappointing in most areas.

I always try to see the goodness in everything around me but it was very tough to pick up good things over here.
Don't get me wrong, I don't have a grudge against anything/anyone. I do like the small city where the university is situated (generally relaxed and friendly), and the various things you can do, and some lovely friends and seniors I have had the luck to meet.
It's just...apart from them, my whole experience here has been terrible and I can't wait to leave.

Will I regret not attending graduation? I've thought about that, my answer is: I don't know but I don't think so.
Will my parents be disappointed? They've been to my first graduation. They're not a fan of my current uni too. Tbh, I don't think they'll care.

Biggest incentives for me to attend events like this is so I can meet friends, colleagues and mentors, celebrate with them and wish them well. I've opportunities to do that (a few of us have organised gatherings and meetings etc, got holidays planned and etc).
I'd appreciate have a solid holiday before F1 to focus on family and friends tbh.

Now the question is, should I go? Or should I just leave it. I don't feel like I want to go, but part of my feels guilty for not going.

What would you guys' advice be? I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

Hey, so for my intercalated degree I really didn't want to go to graduation. I had a very tough time, scraped a first by the skin of my teeth after pouring my heart and soul into everything, and didn't really get much involved in student life because I was simply far too busy.

However, in the end I did go and I'm SO glad I did. Graduation was an opportunity to draw a line under my tough year and bad experiences. It was a little bit therapeutic actually. Managed to see off a couple of course mates, had a fun day celebrating with family, and by the end of the day I was really looking forward to the future.

It's up to you, but I'd advise you go :smile:
Didn't go to mine, parents gave me some drama over it but that's why they have a second child :tongue: Literally haven't had any regrets either, spent the day having fun and I still have a bunch of friends from my time at uni that I talk to a bunch. Doubt I'll go to my second one either, to me it's just hours of planning/sitting around for a 30 second moment, not really gonna be looking back full of regret if I don't do it 😂 End of the day do only what you wanna do, if your parents wanna go to a graduation so badly they're welcome to do a degree themselves!
People are so strange.

I guess neither :u:
I guess neither :u:

I wish TSR had a feature which allowed you to automatically block all the 16-year-olds and under.
Off topic but I am thinking of postgrad medicine, can I PM for information and experience?
I wish TSR had a feature which allowed you to automatically block all the 16-year-olds and under.

Don't worry. The homeless man I met on the street also didn't go to Oxbridge
Whilst graduation is a nice to end your uni degree with, if you don't feel like you want to go, you are entitled to your own decision. You also state that you will meet up with friends and mentors in your own way, so you can still say goodbye.
Don't worry. The homeless man I met on the street also didn't go to Oxbridge

Homeless man on the street also hasn't finished his GCSEs. He has a lot in common with all of us
Homeless man on the street also hasn't finished his GCSEs. He has a lot in common with all of us

I've already finished 1, which is being marked by now.
Predicted 13A*/A
I've already finished 1, which is being marked by now.
Predicted 13A*/A

The mad thing is I was joking when I said you'd not finished your GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest