The Student Room Group

Achieved 3rd in second year what is needed for 1st, 2:1 and 2: for 3rd year?

Hello I am a second year computer science student and I was wondering what percentage would be needed to achieve a first if I achieved a 3rd in second year? (41%)

As I was involved in a serioud car crash I missed the most of second year. Although i'm currently speaking to the uni regarding this and potential retakes (without being capped at 40%) I was wondering if I don't get the retakes what would I need to achieve a 1st, 2:1 and 2:2 in 3rd year.

have achieved about 41% in total for second year.

There are four modules in total (for second year), which are worth 30 credits each. Second year accounts for 25% of the degree, whereas 3rd year accounts for 75%. any help would be appreciated. I would like to know what percentage I would need for a 1st 2:1 and 2:2.

Thanks!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
If I were incapable of calculating basic percentages without assistance, I'd be more inclined to ask myself whether Computer Science—in essence, a discipline of engineering—might not be over-reaching somewhat.
Original post by Profesh
If I were incapable of calculating basic percentages without assistance, I'd be more inclined to ask myself whether Computer Science—in essence, a discipline of engineering—might not be over-reaching somewhat.

I just wanted some help man...:frown::frown: its been a tough year for me
Reply 3
Original post by onerandombloke
I just wanted some help man...:frown::frown: its been a tough year for me

You have my sympathies; but with degrees now costing north of £9,000 per annum one can ill afford to gamble on the prospect of a viable career at completion even under otherwise favourable circumstances—let alone when considering the parlous state of the current graduate market.

Ultimately, in the spirit of self-improvement, this is the sort of question I'd strongly recommend learning to answer for yourself.
(edited 5 years ago)
41 * .25 = 10.25

In each case, let y equal the grade you need in final year to get a 1, 2:1 and 2:2 overall

For a 1:

10.25 + .75y = 70
y = 70 - 10.25 all over .75 = 79.67

For a 2:1 -
Y = 60 - 10.25 all over .75 = 66.33

For a 2:2 -

Y = 50 - 10.25 all over .75 = 53

Quick Reply

Latest