The Student Room Group

seneca learning - actually good?

it just feels a bit brief to me especially with science, wanna know what others think.
Yeah, me too!Though they do say that it makes you learn 2x faster...
I think that because it's still in beta there is an element of ambiguity and it is slightly vague but seem promising to an extent
It is probably good, but don't just use it - use other things like youtube, revision guides, your own notes, past papers or whatever
Reply 4
ok i know this is my own thread but after using it for the exams so far seneca is a gift to anybody who makes bad decisions like me and needs to cram it all in like 4 days, along with a CGP textbook and revision guide yr sorted
Only just started using it now and it is great! Although, I've only really looked at physics so far.
I don't think it makes you learn 2x faster.First of all, it is not exam-style -it is 'interactive' in the sense that you fill in gaps. Then, some of their terms are wrong, or some things of the specification.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BlueScarlett
I don't think it makes you learn 2x faster.First of all, it is not exam-style -it is 'interactive' in the sense that you fill in gaps. Then, some of their terms are wrong, or some things of the specification.

I've found a few minor mistakes too, but I sent a feedback ( clicking on "found a bug?" or something like this) and they fixed all of them really quickly!
I used it for gcses and it helped but I definitely wouldn’t just use it:yep:
Really helped me with recapping the day before the exam and was great for simplifying topics. Defo owe my grades mostly to Seneca and the CGP revision guides
I used as my main revision tool. Spend like 80% of my time on it, besides standard guides and youtube. But I did repeat some sections, sometimes almost weekly, which really helped to remember stuff :-)
Reply 11
I repeatedly use it, and as you said it is brief so going over things twice is always nice. I find it is better for key terms rather than getting good at exams or timings. More advanced longer revision tasks are better tackled with a revision guide, most noticeably English, History, Geography and Religion. However learning definitions, this is really great. Seneca is useful but buying a few books would be beneficial, they're also really useful. But for anyone else going through GCSEs in particular, just do a little bit of everything, Online stuff, Mind maps, Highlight stuff, Write some paragraphs some days and bullet points on others. It'll keep you from getting bored too. Good luck!
it gives you all the information but its best if find exam style questions elsewhere
Reply 13
I'm currently using it for history, all 3 sciences, and english, and with notes as well from other revision guides it's been great
Why does Seneca ask where I want my data to be stored?
Original post by eeeli
it just feels a bit brief to me especially with science, wanna know what others think.

its good for reinforcing learning dont use it as your only revision resource tho
Reply 16
I am in Year 10 and use Seneca for all of my Subjects. I agree, it is sometimes quite brief, but it is good for recapping information and it does explain confusing concepts. Good luck to everyone revising - you'll all do great!!
I’m in year 10 and use Seneca too, as well as Bitesize and quizlet. I think it is great for learning key dates for history and key terms for science. Quizlet is good too. I’ve learnt all 21 of my physics equations in a few days thanks to quizlet...if you haven’t heard of it, it’s basically like Seneca but uses flash cards instead. Anyway, how often do you revise? I’ve been trying to revise about 3 times a week for about an hour to two hours for the subjects I’m weakest on. And a tip: if you can, invest in a tutor. I have one for maths that I see once a week (might amp it up to twice a week soon) she is a math teacher and she has worked with students who struggle with maths so she knows what she is doing. She has helped me so much.
Reply 18
I think seneca is great for some quick revision, when you want to be productive and just go over some basic content but for exams use other resources aswell. I use seneca for my a levels and i just do it after heavy revsion at the end of the day. i consider it light revise and just do it nearly every night. seneca does miss out quite a bit of a level content so i wouldn't use it to make your notes. i would use it to revise old content not learn new content.
Reply 19
i use for sciences to make flashcards so i get the basic idea but i use mostly past papers and mark schemes from there to get really in depth.

Quick Reply