The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Are there any black people in Portsmouth?!!!

Life comes at you fast
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ceeedizz1
So I know this is going to sound really shallow and ignorant but, I don’t currrr , I wanted to know if there is a decent amount of black people at Portsmouth university as I’ve confirmed this as my firm choice and have applied for accommodation etc.. And to be perfectly honest living in the world we do today , seeing these racist experiences young people are going through currently at some university halls really makes me quite fearful and anxious in regards to what my experience will be like. And I don’t know if I would feel 100% comfortable living with just white people and being the only black person in my halls/flat sooooo yeahhhh... if anyone goes to Portsmouth or is planning on going there and know what’s the cultural variation is like .... your reply would be much appreciated xxxx okurrrrrrr

Looks quite high tbh 27%

http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/services/equalityanddiversity/downloads/filetodownload,197289,en.pdf

Ask them.
https://membership.upsu.net/group/afro-caribbean-society
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Nah. 90% of them are white there.
Reply 3
The university? Yeah, I know quite a few black people who went there. Some of them were the only black person in their flat, and none of them have ever said a word about racist experiences. Think you're overestimating the presence of racism in university halls if I'm honest, this isn't the 1970s.
(edited 5 years ago)
If you feel you're self being ostracised for being black, then this isn't the place for you.

There's plenty of blacks all around but not that many as in London. There are many African societies as well with many 'blacks' coming from various countries.

If you're not ready to mingle with other cultures, I'd suggest you sit at home.

I'm a south East Asian and also a member of the Nigerian society.
Not sure why one of the above posters couldn't have just said, "Yes, a fair few". Portsmouth is wonderfully diverse!
One of the good things about portsmouth , while i didnt enjoy the University itself it is rather diverse - maybe more so than a lot of universities interestingly i saw a lot of mixed race couples too and theres about 10 different ethnic societies if i remember
So I know this is going to sound really shallow and ignorant but, I don’t currrr , I wanted to know if there is a decent amount of black people at Portsmouth university as I’ve confirmed this as my firm choice and have applied for accommodation etc.. And to be perfectly honest living in the world we do today , seeing these racist experiences young people are going through currently at some university halls really makes me quite fearful and anxious in regards to what my experience will be like. And I don’t know if I would feel 100% comfortable living with just white people and being the only black person in my halls/flat sooooo yeahhhh... if anyone goes to Portsmouth or is planning on going there and know what’s the cultural variation is like .... your reply would be much appreciated xxxx okurrrrrrr

I'm a 2nd year trust me there are a lot of black people there during term time, but not so much outside of that though. If you stay for a while during the holidays you won't see many black people, but pretty much everyone is friendly. I stayed at Catherine house last year and there were a lot of Egyptians, asians & black people there, so overall its quite like London in terms of cultural diversity.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by IHTWFR
Lol. You are stupid.

Such reasoning. I bow at your intellect.
Reply 10

im black n going in Sep woooop

Lol funny that I would stumble across this thread.

I was working at Victorious festival last weekend and one of the things that struck me was the apparent absence of black people when compared to somewhere like Brighton. I was in the pit of one of the main stages and all I could see was a sea of white faces with one mixed raced girl and a black photographer.

I noticed the smae thing while stranded outside Portsmouth and Southsea trainstation in the early hours of Monday, most of the punters were white with the occaisonal black guy and a group of middle-eastern lads.

I'm not personally familiar with Portsmouth but one of my colleagues told me the place has a tribalistic, "white-trash" chav culture,supposedly a byproduct of the towns nautical history and close relationship with the Royal Navy. The towns cut off location apparently discouraged immigration as well.

As for the uni itself, I have no idea

Only thing I know for sure about the town is the girls have great t!ts and dreadful faces

Not a silly question at all! I'm a mixed race final year International Business student and I've never had any problems in Portsmouth in terms of racism. I've found its a diverse university (if your coming from London, your probably see fewer ethnic minorities than usual but nothing alarming) I was worried too when applying because ive had problems growing up but I found its a different crowd when you get to uni! People grow up and small minded people aren't educated enough to make into higher education :wink:
its pretty diverse

Quick Reply

Latest