The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Hanging a wall flag in dorm room?

I read that blu/white tac is prohibited but would adhesive wall hooks be permitted? I'd like to hang a wall flag and maybe fairy lights up but not sure if that would be allowed.
Will probably be staying in Langwith or Goodricke if it varies from college to college.
Original post by Flabjoe
I read that blu/white tac is prohibited but would adhesive wall hooks be permitted? I'd like to hang a wall flag and maybe fairy lights up but not sure if that would be allowed.
Will probably be staying in Langwith or Goodricke if it varies from college to college.

You agree not to remove, change, alter or damage (including damage caused by neglect or e)misuse) the decorative finish or any part of the Accommodation and/or Residence. This includes not putting up posters, hooks and other items with any type of fixing method or adhesive (including temporary adhesives such as Blu-Tack, sticky pads and sticky strips). You also agree not to make any holes in the furniture, fabric, walls and doors to accommodate the wiring of your electrical appliances or for any other purpose. If we have to do any work arising from a breach by you of this clause, we will charge you with the reasonable cost of that work and the administration fees in collecting the charge as set out at www.york.ac.uk/accommodation/currentstudents/residentshousekeeping/residentshandbookand this cost will be payable by you on demand or deducted from any Damage Deposit.

https://www.york.ac.uk/media/abouttheuniversity/supportservices/accommodationoffice/Terms%20and%20Conditions%202018-19.pdf
University of York
York
Original post by Flabjoe

Each room in halls has at least on big noticeboard on the wall where you can use thumb tacks and pins to pin things up. You're not allowed to use anything else on the noticeboards - pins only - and you can only decorate on these boards, nothing on the walls or ceilings etc. You can have a look on the college's pages on the website and there's views of the rooms in each college so you can see what the noticeboards are like but I'm in Goodricke and have friends in Langwith and no one has even come close to filling their noticeboard yet. Mine above my bed has an A3 whiteboard, 2 A4 framed pictures, some A5 printed photos, pinned tickets, birthday cards, and various other items and I haven't filled half of it. I also have one above my desk and behind my door so there's plenty of space.

In terms of fairy lights, you can only have battery-operated ones but a lot of my friends and flatmates have them on their noticeboard so it's not a rare occurence. So long as it's battery-operated, you can pin it to your board or hang it over something (again so long as it's not attached to anything other than the noticeboard).
"dorm rooms"??!!!
Who's been watch American high school tv?

Quick Reply

Latest