Made a massive mistake whilst driving!! Please help ASAP!!

Watch
Aj_haque
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was driving and needed to turn right into a retail park and there was this awkward filter lane and I waited in the filter lane to turn right and I was confused which way to enter. I ended up turning right and then realised I entered on the wrong side of the road and there were traffic lights there which were on red and my stupidity I didn’t see them until I passed and realised. I was on the wrong side and entered at the wrong bit. What will happen please help!! This happened when all the shops were closed and in the evening which made it 10x more confusing as I went to pick up someone from work as there were no cars about I didn’t know which way I was supposed to enter. What will happen?!!! Please help ASAP!! I am worried about the traffic light as it was on red as I entered the retail park I realised the way I entered was the exit for drivers leaving the retail park. What will happen I’ve only been driving for a month but held my licence for 7 months😩 will I lose my licence or get a fine?! I need to know the consequences
LucyED93
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you need to calm down and breath for a minute.

Likely, nothing will happen. If it was late and no one was around then you have nothing to worry about. Even though you made a mistake, no one was around and you weren't putting anyone in danger so you should be fine.
ryanpro
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Calm down, driving on the wrong side of the road and contravening stop signals is a pretty stupid mistake but you're still alive so it didn't go completely wrong I guess.

It's very unlikely anything will happen.

Just take your time when you're next driving in that area.
Aj_haque
Rep:
?
(Original post by LucyED93)
I think you need to calm down and breath for a minute.

Likely, nothing will happen. If it was late and no one was around then you have nothing to worry about. Even though you made a mistake, no one was around and you weren't putting anyone in danger so you should be fine.
I was thinking, would it count as if I ran a red light as the traffic light camera must’ve caught me passing the wrong way?
Aj_haque
Rep:
?
(Original post by ryanpro)
Calm down, driving on the wrong side of the road and contravening stop signals is a pretty stupid mistake but you're still alive so it didn't go completely wrong I guess.

It's very unlikely anything will happen.

Just take your time when you're next driving in that area.
I was thinking, would it count as if I ran a red light as the traffic light camera must’ve caught me passing the wrong way? Yeah I will be taking my time next time but it’s just playing on my mind thinking what would happen
LucyED93
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aj_haque)
I was thinking, would it count as if I ran a red light as the traffic light camera must’ve caught me passing the wrong way?
This depends on a couple of factors. Firstly, whether the traffic light had a camera or not, as not all of them do. Secondly not all traffic light cameras are there to catch people crossing red light. If it was there to catch people crossing red lights, it would have flashed. If you didn't see a flash then you're fine.

If it helps you feel any better, my mother-in-law has crossed a couple of red lights in broad daylight before and never been caught for it.
ryanpro
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was thinking, would it count as if I ran a red light as the traffic light camera must’ve caught me passing the wrong way? Yeah I will be taking my time next time but it’s just playing on my mind thinking what would happen
I've never heard of anyone getting an automated ticket for running a red light the wrong way (I'm a police officer). The offence wouldn't be for the red light, more for the dangerous driving under the Road Traffic Act.

It's an accident, you'll be fine.
Aj_haque
Rep:
?
I've never heard of anyone getting an automated ticket for running a red light the wrong way (I'm a police officer). The offence wouldn't be for the red light, more for the dangerous driving under the Road Traffic Act.

It's an accident, you'll be fine.
Thank you for the help, so what will happen as it’s not red light and for dangerous driving, in my mind that sounds much worse? So what will happen as it was an honest mistake?
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to Cars and motoring.
Aj_haque
Rep:
?
(Original post by LucyED93)
This depends on a couple of factors. Firstly, whether the traffic light had a camera or not, as not all of them do. Secondly not all traffic light cameras are there to catch people crossing red light. If it was there to catch people crossing red lights, it would have flashed. If you didn't see a flash then you're fine.

If it helps you feel any better, my mother-in-law has crossed a couple of red lights in broad daylight before and never been caught for it.
Thank you, I’ve been overthinking about it a lot and it got me panicking and worried thinking I would lose my licence or would receive a fine.
ryanpro
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for the help, so what will happen as it’s not red light and for dangerous driving, in my mind that sounds much worse? So what will happen as it was an honest mistake?
Nothing is going to happen. Just learn from the experience and move on, you'll be fine.

I mentioned dangerous driving because that is what a police officer would have cited if you had been pulled over.
Aj_haque
Rep:
?
Nothing is going to happen. Just learn from the experience and move on, you'll be fine.

I mentioned dangerous driving because that is what a police officer would have cited if you had been pulled over.
Oh okay, another question I wanted ask was if there was cameras would it take a picture of my car because I’m unsure if there was cameras or not and if it does will I receive a fine through the post or will I even receive a fine at all?
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's it, you've done it now, you will be banned from driving never to return and your entire family will be ashamed of you and will never speak to you again!!!!!!!!!

Serious note, you'll be fine. Nothing will happen.
ryanpro
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh okay, another question I wanted ask was if there was cameras would it take a picture of my car because I’m unsure if there was cameras or not and if it does will I receive a fine through the post or will I even receive a fine at all?
Well, usually if you pass a red light with a camera that detects contraventions (some are just for speeding and ANPR purposes) then yeah, it would take a picture and you would get a Notice of Intended Prosecution (a fine).

You said you went through the lights the wrong way? So the camera wouldn't have activated because you didn't really run a red light. You need to be driving in the right direction for that to happen.
Aj_haque
Rep:
?
Well, usually if you pass a red light with a camera that detects contraventions (some are just for speeding and ANPR purposes) then yeah, it would take a picture and you would get a Notice of Intended Prosecution (a fine).

You said you went through the lights the wrong way? So the camera wouldn't have activated because you didn't really run a red light. You need to be driving in the right direction for that to happen.
Yeah I went through the lights the wrong way, so I was thinking would it still catch my car or not? But if I was to face consequences what would they be? As I’m guessing I would get a fine and would like to know how much? And would I get points on my licence as I only have 6 points considering I haven’t had my licence for 2 years yet.
ryanpro
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I went through the lights the wrong way, so I was thinking would it still catch my car or not? But if I was to face consequences what would they be? As I’m guessing I would get a fine and would like to know how much? And would I get points on my licence as I only have 6 points considering I haven’t had my licence for 2 years yet.
You are really overthinking this... I'd suggest moving on and learning from it rather than panicking.

But, since you asked, If I remember rightly the fine is £100 with 3 penalty points. If you go to court to contest it, the fine can be anything up to £1000 and is means tested.
Ayesha_xox
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was driving and needed to turn right into a retail park and there was this awkward filter lane and I waited in the filter lane to turn right and I was confused which way to enter. I ended up turning right and then realised I entered on the wrong side of the road and there were traffic lights there which were on red and my stupidity I didn’t see them until I passed and realised. I was on the wrong side and entered at the wrong bit. What will happen please help!! This happened when all the shops were closed and in the evening which made it 10x more confusing as I went to pick up someone from work as there were no cars about I didn’t know which way I was supposed to enter. What will happen?!!! Please help ASAP!! I am worried about the traffic light as it was on red as I entered the retail park I realised the way I entered was the exit for drivers leaving the retail park. What will happen I’ve only been driving for a month but held my licence for 7 months😩 will I lose my licence or get a fine?! I need to know the consequences
Don’t worry, nothing will happen. I’ve been driving for years and made these mistakes and nothing ever happens!
accountant-future
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I thought this was going to be some hit and run or crash post.

-You didn’t crash
-You didn’t injure anyone

Calm down, it could have been catastrophic but it wasn’t.

Just learn from it.
Zzzzxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Similar thing has happened with me - what happened in the end, did you get caught? Did you get points/fined?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.31%
No (65)
38.69%

Watched Threads