Turn on thread page Beta

Not sure whether to accept job offer... watch

I applied to for a graduate job (civil engineering) with a company - very good, medium sized consultancy and the job is ideal for what I am looking for. I originally went to an interview in my local office (london) but then after invited me to an office around 100 miles away in a small village... after going I was offered a job there for 26k a year. I emailed them back to try and get a higher salary and a start date for jan 2019 (we discussed in the interview I’d want some time off after finishing uni in August - he suggested maybe October time). They replied saying the salary was basically fixed for a grad job and that a jan start date was basically out the picture ...

My problem now is whether to accept the job, mainly because of the start date and the fact I would have to relocate to small village on a permanent basis. Ideally I’d like to go travelling after uni for a bit of time (applied for job a while ago) and don’t feel id get the chance again and not too keen about moving out... I also feel I may be able to land a job at a better company but would it be worth waiting until next September now?

Need advice!!

ReputationRep:
    If you can find accommodation in that small village then you only have to walk to work everyday so you save money on your commute. Plus there's much to learn from moving out and living on your own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I applied to for a graduate job (civil engineering) with a company - very good, medium sized consultancy and the job is ideal for what I am looking for. I originally went to an interview in my local office (london) but then after invited me to an office around 100 miles away in a small village... after going I was offered a job there for 26k a year. I emailed them back to try and get a higher salary and a start date for jan 2019 (we discussed in the interview I’d want some time off after finishing uni in August - he suggested maybe October time). They replied saying the salary was basically fixed for a grad job and that a jan start date was basically out the picture ...

My problem now is whether to accept the job, mainly because of the start date and the fact I would have to relocate to small village on a permanent basis. Ideally I’d like to go travelling after uni for a bit of time (applied for job a while ago) and don’t feel id get the chance again and not too keen about moving out... I also feel I may be able to land a job at a better company but would it be worth waiting until next September now?

Need advice!!
    Don't accept. If they don't want to budge for you don't budge for them. There are PLENTY of engineering graduate jobs that pay 30k+.

ReputationRep:

Need advice!!

It depends what your priorities are and what you can afford to do. If you want to or need to work right after uni then this seems like a good offer and that seems like a decent starting salary to me (although I dont know whats normal for this sector).

But if you really want to go travelling and you can afford it, aren't in a rush to move out from home and won't have any big problems if it takes a while to land a job when you get back then you should do it. You're right that you're unlikely to get the chance again, or at least it will be a lot trickier once you are in a full time job and possibly living independently, so if its important to you to spend the time doing it now then go for it, and wait until you get back to look for a new job because most businesses won't hold one for that long.

ReputationRep:
    Start date is not worth jeopardizing the job over.

Working in a village 100 miles from London is a huge plus vs working in London. You'll actually be able to live, have a decent commute etc.

Given that this job is ideal for you, it seems like a no brainer to accept it. Is the real issue that you think there is a better job out there? Maybe, but I would still take this one and keep looking.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JSGrewall)
    Don't accept. If they don't want to budge for you don't budge for them. There are PLENTY of engineering graduate jobs that pay 30k+.
    This is wrong advice bearing in mind that unemployment rate among engineering grads is on the rise.

ReputationRep:
    Take it. You can still get 2 months' travel this Summer before you start.

ReputationRep:
    You should wait and get the better job, and in the meantime travel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    This is wrong advice bearing in mind that unemployment rate among engineering grads is on the rise.
    If you've got a banging CV you won't have a problem.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Need advice!!
    I think you should properly think about this before you make a decision.

If the company is your ideal (or close to ideal) organisation then i suggest you take the offer and move to the village. Maybe after a year, you can try to move back to London. In terms of holidays, you can apply for a big leave and use that to go on a short break.

My advice is to take the job because proper jobs are becoming scarce.

ReputationRep:
    Don't accept. If they don't want to budge for you don't budge for them. There are PLENTY of engineering graduate jobs that pay 30k .
    Lmao, this is complete nonsense. There aren't plenty of graduate engineering jobs period. The number of engineering grads is more than double the number of jobs and if you're lucky enough to get a job, the average starting salary is about £26k
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Lmao, this is complete nonsense. There aren't plenty of graduate engineering jobs period. The number of engineering grads is more than double the number of jobs and if you're lucky enough to get a job, the average starting salary is about £26k
    Look at companies such as EDF, or even look abroad. There are amazing job prospects with companies working in the UAE etc...

ReputationRep:
    Look at companies such as EDF, or even look abroad. There are amazing job prospects with companies working in the UAE etc...
    Lmao, OP was complaining about moving 100 miles and you want them to decline for a job in UAE?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Lmao, OP was complaining about moving 100 miles and you want them to decline for a job in UAE?
    UAE is a lot of money.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.