The Student Room Group

Harvard or Oxford?

Which one is better for biology undergrad? (have offers from both)
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Biology is life

This isn't entirely relevant but if you're from America maybe go for Oxford and if you're from the UK go for Harvard as imo it's more impressive if you've managed to get a place at a high ranked foreign university.

Obviously if you've from neither of America or the UK that doesn't really apply ; p

Two last things; the rankings of universities are almost constantly changing / debated by different studies. And in the end you'll just have to choose.
(edited 5 years ago)

What do you mean by "better"? What are the most important things for you?
I'd recommend Harvard. And can I PM you? I'm thinking of applying to Harvard too!

Also, did you apply with Crimson?
Original post by physicseastldn
I'd recommend Harvard. And can I PM you? I'm thinking of applying to Harvard too!

Also, did you apply with Crimson?

sure! No, I did not apply with crimson
Reply 5
Original post by physicseastldn
I'd recommend Harvard.

On what basis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Do you want to focus on biology or have 30%+ liberal arts too.

Have you visited both? Which do *you* prefer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OxFossil
What do you mean by "better"? What are the most important things for you?

academic reputation, quality of education, job perspectives in research or biotech...
Reply 8
academic reputation, quality of education, job perspectives in research or biotech...

Do you plan on working in the US or UK, or elsewhere?

Most Oxford biologists go on to do a MSc/PhD, dunno about Harvard. But eitherway consider the option of going to, say, Oxford for undergrad, and then Harvard (or wherever) for postgrad.

You aren't going to make a poor decision by choosing either institution, but refer back to my earlier question - which do *you* prefer? That's much more important.

For general factors like the ones you mention, you may be well advised to look at independent ranking tables. These generally include student satisfaction, research quality and employment after graduation. The Oxford Biological Sci course usually rates at number 2 in the UK (Cambridge NatSci is usually number 1)

If you want to go into research or biotech, you will need PG training/qualifications too.

I know nothing about Harvard whatsoever.
UK undergrad, USA postgrad is the standard move when faced with a decision like this

US universities make you major/minor in various things which means you come out worse at your core subject than peers at UK unis who've just done that one thing and nothing else for 3 years. So if you want to just do biology and that's what you're interested in, I'd recommend Oxford. If you want more breadth but less depth in your education, Harvard is better, but I'm guessing that's not the case given you didn't apply to Cambridge for NatSci.
Reply 11

is costing for both similar?
I feel like Harvard would give better job opportunities and would give you an opportunity to get a work permanent visa
Original post by Doonesbury
Do you plan on working in the US or UK, or elsewhere?

Most Oxford biologists go on to do a MSc/PhD, dunno about Harvard. But eitherway consider the option of going to, say, Oxford for undergrad, and then Harvard (or wherever) for postgrad.

You aren't going to make a poor decision by choosing either institution, but refer back to my earlier question - which do *you* prefer? That's much more important.

thank you very much for your answer!

I definitely plan to do further studies after the bachelors. You're right, the US is probably best for that, but doesn't it improve my chances to get accepted for a PhD in the US (specifically at Harvard), if I already did my undergrad there?

I think I prefer Oxford as a city, but I don't want to base my decision on that.
Reply 13
thank you very much for your answer!

I definitely plan to do further studies after the bachelors. You're right, the US is probably best for that, but doesn't it improve my chances to get accepted for a PhD in the US (specifically at Harvard), if I already did my undergrad there?

I think I prefer Oxford as a city, but I don't want to base my decision on that.

Ask Oxford how successful their Biology grads are applying for PhDs at Harvard
https://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/postgraduate-study-in-the-usa/

Or ask Harvard if you would be disadvantaged coming from Oxford (I very much doubt you would be...).

You could also ask if the 3 year BSc or 4 year MBiol course is preferred by Harvard.

But you still haven't answered the point about whether you want a liberal arts plus biology course (which also takes an extra year) or a focussed biology course...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Harvard - not only because of the university itself but also because of a lot more career opportunities with Biology major in the US
Other than the academical differences between the two, I think going to Harvard would be such an amazing experience that you should def go there, Oxford and Harvard are both amazing unis so congrats on getting in to both !!

Good luck x
The most obvious considerations are whether you want to study just biology or biology + lots of minors, whether you want to study in the US or UK, and any financial considerations. Everything else is very much secondary.
Ask Oxford how successful their Biology grads are applying for PhDs at Harvard
https://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/postgraduate-study-in-the-usa/

Or ask Harvard if you would be disadvantaged coming from Oxford (I very much doubt you would be...).

You could also ask if the 3 year BSc or 4 year MBiol course is preferred by Harvard.

But you still haven't answered the point about whether you want a liberal arts plus biology course (which also takes an extra year) or a focussed biology course...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would enjoy a liberal arts education a lot, but I am worried its rather harmful career wise and I should rather limit my other interests to extracurricular reading or clubs?
Reply 18
I would enjoy a liberal arts education a lot, but I am worried its rather harmful career wise and I should rather limit my other interests to extracurricular reading or clubs?

Of course it's not "harmful", just different. I'm quite sure there's plenty of Harvard biology alumni in very good careers.

If you like the sound of a broader *formal* academic experience then go for it, but then again why didn't you apply for NatSci at Cambridge...

Meanwhile there's plenty of extracurricular activities at Oxford to keep you busy if you so choose. And there you have the flexibility of doing these things without affecting your grades...

If you like the sound of a broader *formal* academic experience then go for it, but then again why didn't you apply for NatSci at Cambridge...

Because if I do go for Harvard, I would like to take classes like history and politics (mostly just out of interest/ curiosity). Within the sciences I want to do biology for sure.

Quick Reply