matrices Watch

KloppOClock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi,

me lecture notes are a bit shite so i have no idea what any of this subsection means.

its about a brief introduction to groups (which theres a whole chapter on later).

it basically defines a group and its properties.
then it describes the general linear group, the special linear group and the symmetric group.

then it defines a polynomial in n variables, then the sgn function.

ive not a clue what any of it is tryna tell me. can you give us some resources thatll explain it cuz all the utube vids are absolute crap lol

also if you know any of these parts please explain it to me!
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by KloppOClock)
hi,

me lecture notes are a bit shite so i have no idea what any of this subsection means.

its about a brief introduction to groups (which theres a whole chapter on later).

it basically defines a group and its properties.
then it describes the general linear group, the special linear group and the symmetric group.

then it defines a polynomial in n variables, then the sgn function.

ive not a clue what any of it is tryna tell me. can you give us some resources thatll explain it cuz all the utube vids are absolute crap lol

also if you know any of these parts please explain it to me!
Socratica’s youtube videos helped me get my head around these groups and other aspects of group theory, so try them. These are part of their Abstract Algebra playlist
KloppOClock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
Socratica’s youtube videos helped me get my head around these groups and other aspects of group theory, so try them. These are part of their Abstract Algebra playlist
boss, think i got it now.

just dont get two things;
in my notes it defines the sign function as only being able to take -1 and 1 but not 0?
also dont get the cyclic function for symmetrical groups, mainly the part where its a product of transpositions and also "This gives a cycle (1 (1)σ (1)σσ (1)σ
r )" , where its just a **** ton of sigmas .
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

in my notes it defines the sign function as only being able to take -1 and 1 but not 0?
also dont get the cyclic function for symmetrical groups, mainly the part where its a product of transpositions and also "This gives a cycle (1 (1)σ (1)σσ (1)σ
Can you post a picture of how these appear in your notes?

The sgn function is precisely one that takes either 1 or -1 depending on the input. In the context of your theory, there won't be a case where you'd need to take sgn of something that is neither +ve or -ve, so it is sufficient to have \pm 1 only.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Have you tired Lecture notes from other universities?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.54%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (546)
59.48%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (130)
14.16%

Watched Threads