Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It’s nearly May, I’m in year 12 and my actual A Level exams are in year 13 (we don’t do AS anymore). I do Biology, Psychology and Sociology. Just got our mock results back and got DCC in that subject order. Do you think it’s too late to start revising for the actual a level exams if I want a final grade of around As and Bs?
    I’m not sure if this is a stupid question haha but I’m just so worried because I’ve been slacking off a lot.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I think it’s important to be realistic - those that achieved A grades across the board in my institution hit the books from day one (especially on linear courses like yours).

But that being said, I revised roughly one night a week around this time if I’m being honest (in year 13, not at all in year 12), and crammed as much revision in during my free periods in the few weeks leading up to exams or the night before/day of the exam, and I was fine. If I remember rightly, I achieved an A and two B’s, along with a D* in a BTEC subject I chose just in case I needed extra UCAS points. Not jaw dropping, but not bad! I’m not saying take my approach (ideally revise more!) but try to be relaxed about it; I think this goes a long way to being successful.

I’m now in a red brick institution and to be honest, the fact that I struggled to remember my A Level grades speaks volume for their importance - they just don’t matter a year on. And please don’t be discouraged about getting into uni if that’s your aim; Russell Group unis often accept students who did not achieve their offered grades.

Sorry for such a long reply! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It's never too late.
    That said admitting failure is something only you can decide
    Some people really should admit failure otherwise they are only hurting themselves.

I'm probably in a similar situation, minimal revision and didn't do too well in the mocks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student879)
    It’s nearly May, I’m in year 12 and my actual A Level exams are in year 13 (we don’t do AS anymore). I do Biology, Psychology and Sociology. Just got our mock results back and got DCC in that subject order. Do you think it’s too late to start revising for the actual a level exams if I want a final grade of around As and Bs?
    I’m not sure if this is a stupid question haha but I’m just so worried because I’ve been slacking off a lot.

Thank you
    I did very little revision in year 12 (only really before mocks) and through year 13 I didn't do lots revision compared to other people until the last couple of weeks where I crammed hard. In the end I came out with ABC plus a B in an AS level equivalent. (Though my A was in a subject that still used the AS system).
    For the most part it matters that you pay attention in class. Though it is definitely a good idea to do consistent revision if you want to get higher grades - especially if you had a disappointing result in mocks.

That was a bit cluttered but what I'm trying to say is it's definitely not too late - as I didn't work particularly hard and did okay, so if you work hard over the next year you could crush it and get whatever grades you want. Though you do have to revise. (My reason for saying this is the subject I revised least was the one I was meant to do the best in and it ended up being my worst).

Goodluck with everything!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.