james_arthur_1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
On a classical SRAS I understand that you can have both a positive and negative output gap when demand shifts in or out. On a Keynesian LRAS diagram I understand how you can get a negative output gap when AD isn't at full employment (the vertical bit of the curve). But how do you get a positive output gap on a Keynesian curve. Is that not possible?
jpt4749
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Classical takes approach for Economy in the long run when AS is vertical so the level of output is put at potential GDP and any deviation from that will be unsustainable.

Keynesian takes approach for Economy in the short run when AS is flat (sticky price) and deviation from trend can occur which creates output gap. After that either central bank or government will take action to make output back to the trend level again.
Dreamville1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you mean how can it be shown on a diagram,

You would use a full economy diagram, utilizing both the LRAS and SRAS you could show it on that by the output produced by the SRAS being greater than the LRAS, highlighting the positive output gap -- just remember to show its unsustainable or part of a market cycle so will return to normal capacity at the LRAS level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (292)
56.05%
I don't have everything I need (229)
43.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed