Turn on thread page Beta

Is it legal for a teacher to fine a student? watch

My teacher has started fining students from £1-£5. I was wanting to find out if that is legal. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    fine for what? misbehaving during class? not attending?
    and no...it's not legal...also..who the heck would pay "fines" to their teacher...if mine had even suggested that, he/she would be at the job centre claiming JSA the next morning.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My teacher has started fining students from £1-£5. I was wanting to find out if that is legal. Thanks
    No it's not go straight to the governors he should be struck off.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Fining for what? How are these being issued? Where is the money going? How often is this happening?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Report it to all the news outlets tbh, name and shame em
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    No it's not go straight to the governors he should be struck off.
    Struck off? Do governors have the power to do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Struck off? Do governors have the power to do that?
    Well no but they can suspend him without pay or fire him (and probably would in this case) and then take it to a hearing where that can happen

ReputationRep:
    Are they actually fining people or just saying 'that's a £x fine'? Is it done in a joking way or are they being serious?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Anyone with a brain would find out more details about what was happening, under whose authority and why.

Not the same thing, but my friend got fined because he snapped some of the school's pencils and they charged him for the whole box. So he went to the bank and got the money in 1p's and gave all the money to his teacher like that

(Original post by HorribleDude)
    fine for what? misbehaving during class? not attending?
    and no...it's not legal...also..who the heck would pay "fines" to their teacher...if mine had even suggested that, he/she would be at the job centre claiming JSA the next morning.
    This.

Though one of our teachers had a similar policy when I was at school. They had a charity collection tin on their desk and, as a bit of a lighthearted thing, he would shake it at you if you were bad in class. People would put money in mostly, but they were free not to.

ReputationRep:
    depends what for.. but considering its 1-5 pounds it doesn't seem like a legit fine and just that they're nicking your coins from you
    tell someone

ReputationRep:
    it is basically theft... it is difficult to see how this teacher can carry on if this is the whole story ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What for?

I think there would need to be more details provided on this. From my experience of working in a school, I have witnessed teachers charging 5p, 10p or a maximum of 20p for several things such as 5p to replace a homework sheet after losing it (after receiving an amnesty on the first situation); and 10p for chewing in class after three times being caught. I doubt teachers have the authority to fine pupils large amounts of money (£1-5+) to then keep that money. I know, from experience again, that any money pupils have given to teachers has then gone to charities.

ReputationRep:
    lmao

all my school does is make you pay for an exercise book if you lose it.

ReputationRep:
    I was taught by nuns. When a lot of girls started to wear a lot of jewellery to school, the nuns sent round a bucket and told us to take of the jewellery and place it in the bucket and it would be sold off to help the poor.

Needless to say there was a public outcry and they had to return the jewellery.

No one lost their jobs though. That's going a bit far. It should be included in your home/ school agreement. If it isn't then don't pay the fine

At my brother's school, the pupils all have to buy their text books which are about £25 each and some subjects need three books. It's like being at a private school. Do you think the money they save goes towards the Head teachers salary? I suspect so.

ReputationRep:
    no it isn't just slap her up fam, teach her a lesson

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it is legal or something he/she could actually enforce. Tell your teacher to kiss your ass.

ReputationRep:
    The OP hasn't specified what the fines are for, and isn't even responding to any posts...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.