The Student Room Group

what happens if i withdraw?

I've read as much as I can online and have read other people's posts but I still don't have an answer for my specific problem so...

I'm considering withdrawing from my current University (I've only done 1 year) to do a different course in September. I'm worried about finance though as I've read that if I have not been at university for long enough my maintenance can be stated as overpaid. Also, my account online says the university hasn't been paid yet so what happens there?

If i'm overpaid can it come out of my finance from September? Please advise me as I would like to withdraw as soon as possible.
Original post by tamwebster2
I've read as much as I can online and have read other people's posts but I still don't have an answer for my specific problem so...

I'm considering withdrawing from my current University (I've only done 1 year) to do a different course in September. I'm worried about finance though as I've read that if I have not been at university for long enough my maintenance can be stated as overpaid. Also, my account online says the university hasn't been paid yet so what happens there?

If i'm overpaid can it come out of my finance from September? Please advise me as I would like to withdraw as soon as possible.

Hi tamwebster2,

The Maintenance Loan that you would have received in April (Term3) is to fund you through the summer until you start the course again the next academic year.
If you withdraw from the current course prior to the next academic year this will result in loan overpayment. The overpayment amount would be calculated based on the date that your university advise Student Finance of when you withdrew. We will contact you by letter to advise of the overpayment. You must contact us to discuss repaying this back immediately. This would not be able to be deducted from any future entitlement if you have withdrawn.

When the university advise us of your withdrawal they will also advise us of how much the wish to charge you for tuition fees . At this point in the academic year they may still wish to charge full fees. The tuition fees to be charged is the universities discretion.

I would suggest that you contact your university to discuss your options.

I hope this information helps!

Thanks

Louise

Quick Reply