The Student Room Group

Going to a state school is no excuse for not being determined to get into university

As above.

I'm on the side of "Going to a state school is no excuse for not getting into/applying to top universities".

The other side is "Going to a state school is an excuse for not getting into/applying to top universities".

Scroll to see replies

Cherelle Malongo, Oxford University

If you are someone like me a black, working-class, state-school educated individual from Newham, East London would you think that you could win a place at Oxford or Cambridge?

Source: Oxford University http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/news/foundation-year-student-blog-times-higher-education
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury

Nice!
going to uni comes from grassroots level i went to a state secondary school no one ever mentioned going to uni and becoming doctors, engineers, accountants and the like we got no backing. if you look at my fb now loads of kids way smarter than me are in doss jobs now/traveling etc. if they got abit of inspiration they might have worked hard in sixth form and got into a uni. my sixth form was a state school a very good one and ppl got into oxbridge and that could have been them
Reply 5
I agree that going to a state school shouldn’t stop you from applying to top unis if you’ve got the grades. However, some schools don’t encourage this (idk why) and some students don’t have the grades for uni - this occurs more in state schools, as they are usually non-selective. Therefore less of them will go to uni.
I go to a state school and it’s pretty good, as far as I’m aware we have had students progress to Oxbridge and other top unis (we don’t have a sixth form at our school).
Original post by Lucy-16
I agree that going to a state school shouldn’t stop you from applying to top unis if you’ve got the grades. However, some schools don’t encourage this (idk why) and some students don’t have the grades for uni - this occurs more in state schools, as they are usually non-selective. Therefore less of them will go to uni.
I go to a state school and it’s pretty good, as far as I’m aware we have had students progress to Oxbridge and other top unis (we don’t have a sixth form at our school).

That isn't an excuse for not applying.

You don't apply because someone told you to, you apply for yourself. Same with sixth forms, some schools wont tell you when to apply but if you wanted to find a sixth form, you'd find it on your own.
Reply 7
I wasn’t saying that just because schools don’t tell people to, people won’t apply, but some people might feel discouraged if their school doesn’t suggest applying to a top uni as they might feel like they’re not good enough. I didn’t say it was an excuse, just a contributing factor.
Original post by isaidsteamedhams
going to uni comes from grassroots level i went to a state secondary school no one ever mentioned going to uni and becoming doctors, engineers, accountants and the like we got no backing. if you look at my fb now loads of kids way smarter than me are in doss jobs now/traveling etc. if they got abit of inspiration they might have worked hard in sixth form and got into a uni. my sixth form was a state school a very good one and ppl got into oxbridge and that could have been them

Don't exaggerate. Your school must have by law given out careers guidance to every school leaver.

There is no way you only found out about "going to university" at sixth form. You just didn't want to listen when they did tell you.
Original post by Lucy-16
I wasn’t saying that just because schools don’t tell people to, people won’t apply, but some people might feel discouraged if their school doesn’t suggest applying to a top uni as they might feel like they’re not good enough. I didn’t say it was an excuse, just a contributing factor.

It isn't a contributing factor. It is an excuse. "I didn't apply because no one told me to, I went to a state school."

Top unis is also ill-defined in this thread, from now on - when I say top unis I mean Russell Groups.
Agreed. Schools should push students to do what is the best for them. For some that will be Uni, others it won’t be. But being in a state school should absolutely not be an excuse for not applying.
I’ve never heard anyone make that excuse. I think of it as a contributing factor because if you felt like people didn’t think you’d get in to Russell group unis (regardless of what school you went to), you’d be discouraged from applying. I know that you don’t have to wait for the school to tell you to apply for one. Going to a state school is no excuse for not going to uni, and I’m not saying it is at all. I would never use the fact that I went to a state school as an excuse for not going to uni.
Original post by Lucy-16
I’ve never heard anyone make that excuse. I think of it as a contributing factor because if you felt like people didn’t think you’d get in to Russell group unis (regardless of what school you went to), you’d be discouraged from applying. I know that you don’t have to wait for the school to tell you to apply for one. Going to a state school is no excuse for not going to uni, and I’m not saying it is at all. I would never use the fact that I went to a state school as an excuse for not going to uni.

"No encouragement" = contributing factor = excuse
Original post by physicseastldn
Don't exaggerate. Your school must have by law given out careers guidance to every school leaver.

There is no way you only found out about "going to university" at sixth form. You just didn't want to listen when they did tell you.

well i went a poor quality secondary school so may not be as extensive guidance as other schools but yeah i dont recall any real encouragement in aiming for uni or those dr, engineer etc careers. was more of the get 5 Cs and get into college first and decide there. a recent stat is 38% got 5Cs and above. i had no idea about uni/careers until end of 1st year sixth form
If someone really wanted to go to a Russell Group, they'd apply. Since when did you need an invitation from a school teacher to apply? If you wanted to go to a university, then you'd order their prospectus or go to an open day. I don't see anything on the prospectus order forms that require you to have a letter of recommendation from your teacher.
You make it sound like people have to want to go to University...
Original post by 'Tetragrammaton'
You make it sound like people have to want to go to University...

Why would you go to university if you didn't want to? There are plenty of other routes to take. If you don't want to go to uni - then don't. It's not by force.
Why would you go to university if you didn't want to? There are plenty of other routes to take. If you don't want to go to uni - then don't. It's not by force.

True, although schools do often pressure you and don't leave you with many options. However, that's not what I was saying. The original thing was that going to a state school is not an excuse for not being determined to go to university. If you were already at university, this wouldn't matter. If you're not, the OP is making is seem as though you have to want to.
As above.

I'm on the side of "Going to a state school is no excuse for not getting into/applying to top universities".

The other side is "Going to a state school is an excuse for not getting into/applying to top universities".

I agree that if anyone has the grades and the right attitude, they have a chance of being offered a place. However, if you look at Oxbridge, there are many colleges who have this sort of “old boys club” where if you went to Eton or Harrow you are almost guaranteed a place. A lot of these private students have parents who went to private schools/top universities because discrimination against state school students used to be a lot worse, and this is both discouraging and leaves the lower classes with less resources to learn as the upper classes. Just look at Prince Charles. He went to Cambridge with utterly awful A Level grades.
Reply 19
Original post by MiriamButcher
However, if you look at Oxbridge, there are many colleges who have this sort of “old boys club” where if you went to Eton or Harrow you are almost guaranteed a place.

No longer, no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending