Turn on thread page Beta

Hi,

So I'm a biological natural sciences student at Cambridge, but I really feel like I shouldn't be here. My offer last year was A*A*A, but I got A*A*B instead & was let in. The A* grades in Biology and Maths, the B in Chemistry.

Throughout GCSEs and A Levels I'd been struggling with Crohn's disease and I've had multiple surgeries throughout the latter years of high school. I didn't do "great" in my GCSEs either because of this - it was the hardest period of my life by far

But I'm well now, but after seeing so many people with A*A*A, 3A*, 4A* etc I'm getting a sense of being let in on sympathy. I'm happy with the grades I got under the circumstances - my teachers thought I'd get a lot worse, maybe even fail because of the amount of school I missed - think my attendance was roughly 80% throughout those years. Catching up with notes constantly is hell

I imagine I did well at interview and on the admissions assessment, but I really think that's the ONLY thing I did well.

I'm doing well on the course as of now, my tutors even praise me during tutorials but I feel like a lot of people would do well at Cambridge even if they were declined. Despite doing well here, I don't think that means I should've been let in - there's people who were rejected with 5A*grades that would be crushing the degree.

My A Level results are amongst the bottom end for the science and maths guys here - sometimes I get ridiculed for them by my friends & play it off, but it kinda bothers me.

I've heard on here that the average is A*A*A here? But I guess it's higher for science & maths and lower for humanities which might be why I feel like a black sheep haha.

I know 9/10 people would be happy with A*A*B and to study here, but it drives insecurities when you were let in with less than the requirements and that most people in science and maths departments have better grades than you. I'm below average for Oxford and Imperial College too, so that doesn't help.

It's just so frustrating to have had a disease ridden sixth form and not to see what I could've got normally, now I'm just left with what ifs.

Does anyone have any advice or any similar experience?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say you need to try and look forward and just get on with the task without all this internalizing. It can get exhausting trying to work all this stuff out, preserve your brain juice and just be happy you are there and getting on so well.

Having suffered many surgeries because of your Crohn's disease must have been really difficult to deal with. Well done for doing such an excellent job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

So I'm a biological natural sciences student at Cambridge, but I really feel like I shouldn't be here. My offer last year was A*A*A, but I got A*A*B instead & was let in. The A* grades in Biology and Maths, the B in Chemistry.

Throughout GCSEs and A Levels I'd been struggling with Crohn's disease and I've had multiple surgeries throughout the latter years of high school. I didn't do "great" in my GCSEs either because of this - it was the hardest period of my life by far

But I'm well now, but after seeing so many people with A*A*A, 3A*, 4A* etc I'm getting a sense of being let in on sympathy. I'm happy with the grades I got under the circumstances - my teachers thought I'd get a lot worse, maybe even fail because of the amount of school I missed - think my attendance was roughly 80% throughout those years. Catching up with notes constantly is hell

I imagine I did well at interview and on the admissions assessment, but I really think that's the ONLY thing I did well.

I'm doing well on the course as of now, my tutors even praise me during tutorials but I feel like a lot of people would do well at Cambridge even if they were declined. Despite doing well here, I don't think that means I should've been let in - there's people who were rejected with 5A*grades that would be crushing the degree.

My A Level results are amongst the bottom end for the science and maths guys here - sometimes I get ridiculed for them by my friends & play it off, but it kinda bothers me.

I've heard on here that the average is A*A*A here? But I guess it's higher for science & maths and lower for humanities which might be why I feel like a black sheep haha.

I know 9/10 people would be happy with A*A*B and to study here, but it drives insecurities when you were let in with less than the requirements and that most people in science and maths departments have better grades than you. I'm below average for Oxford and Imperial College too, so that doesn't help.

It's just so frustrating to have had a disease ridden sixth form and not to see what I could've got normally, now I'm just left with what ifs.

You put in the work, you defied the odds and did well. From my perspective, you have nothing to be insecure about. I'd feel worse if I cheated. Clearly you did something right if you impressed them that much. You just have more to prove than your fellows

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Despite doing well here, I don't think that means I should've been let in - there's people who were rejected with 5A*grades that would be crushing the degree.
    Admissions tutors choose the students who are going to succeed on the degree. If someone got rejected with 5A*s, its because they messed up the admissions test/interview/personal statement/reference etc.

You're there because the admissions tutors think you can do well on the degree. Don't overthink it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My guess is that at least half the students at Oxbridge experience Imposter Syndrome at some point. It goes with the territory - you know smarter people than you who didn't get in, you sit in on supervisions and your fellow students seem to understand stuff you are clueless about, surely you can't be one of the smartest people in the country? Etc etc. It is not just normal, but expected. Some people are better at covering it up, that's all.

This Oxford handout has some advice on overcoming Imposter Syndrome. Talk to your tutor(s) about how you feel; you will be far from the first student they've had who feels this way, and they should be able to reassure you.

Meantime, please remember that prior to arriving at Cambs, your peers were being coached in how to do the entrance exams, how to get through the interviews and sometimes just chilling and recharging their batteries, while you were having to pour your energy into coping with a serious, disabling illness and recovering from multiple surgeries.

And yet you still got exceptional results. And you still impressed your tutors so much they wanted you there. As a former lecturer/tutor at another RG uni, I can assure you that no-one gets admitted to a rigorous U/G course out of charity or sympathy - why would you set someone up to fail, and give yourself extra work to get them through to boot? And it's not as if they had a shortage of alternatives. They chose you because they agreed that you were amongst the strongest of all the candidates before them, and that you were exactly the sort of student they want (that's not necessarily the brightest or the one with the most A*s. It's the most teachable, the ones with the greatest potential)

My daughter did Biology at Oxford. She didn't have Maths beyond GCSE and barely understood any of the maths and stats in the syllabus. She wasn't the brightest or the most accomplished in her college - but she got a First.

Be the person you are meant to be, not a stereotype. Be proud of who you are.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm sure you'll do better in your tripos exams than many of the people with higher a-level grades- they really don't matter in the long run. And yeah jesus such a cambridge tier insult- you got a single B in your a-levels.

ReputationRep:
    This is the most 'The Student Room' type post ever!

ReputationRep:
    If you're feeling this humble about it now, you deserve to be there. You did spectacular for what was happening, so just carry on succeeding.

ReputationRep:
    Is this someone trying to be PaigeY - The Cambridge student vlogger?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hiya :wavey:

In December 2006, I was made a conditional offer by Oxford for their music course. The condition was I had to get AAA in my A2s. (These were the days before the A* grade! :shakecane: )

On results day 2007, it turned out I had missed the offer by literally 6 UMS marks (1%), getting AAB (or what would now be A*A*B), with the B in French A2. By the time I got into school and learned of my results, my school were already on the phone to Oxford, pleading my case.

Like you, I was let in anyway (though unlike you, there were no extenuating circumstances for my grades - I had just been a complacent **** with my French A2). Like you, I suffered from crippling imposter syndrome due to an inferiority complex. I (mistakenly) thought that getting less than almost everyone on my course meant that I was less intelligent than everyone else. I also felt I had to "prove" to my college tutor (equivalent of DoS) that he had made the right decision in taking me anyway. Things weren't helped by the fact that a tutorial partner told me that he had worked "very hard to get [his] As" and that I didn't deserve to be at Oxford

Sorry that the back story to this post is so long - I just want to show you that you're not the only person who's ever felt like this. I want to tell you that I understand how you feel, and to give you some advice and words of wisdom that I wish someone had given me at the time.

Every year, there are people who have an offer for Oxford or Cambridge who miss their grades. Most of them are rejected immediately. Very few people get in without the minimum requirement grades. So what does that imply in your case? It implies that there is something about you that stands out, that stands tall above the crowds. Something about you wowed the admissions people and made them decide that they would take you anyway, even though they were not obliged to since you missed the offer grades.

You've not been let in on sympathy - you've been let in because you have shown qualities and/or intelligence that they simply couldn't turn away. That actually speaks volumes more than meeting or exceeding the offer grades.

Right now A Levels feel important because you're still in your first year at Cambridge (if I've understood correctly). But the older you get and the more time you spend at Cambridge, you will learn that those grades don't define you. In fact, once you'e got your degree, they'll not really be important anymore (aside from a few career choices where these things still matter).

It might feel a bit cringe doing this, but why not ask your DoS why you were accepted anyway? After a year of bullying from aforementioned tutorial partner and my own inferiority complex and imposter syndrome crippling me, I cracked during a meeting with my college tutor and told him I don't know why I'm here when I missed the entrance grades. My college tutor was shocked I felt like this and assured me that I'd be let in anyway because I'm "very intelligent" and had impressed them in the interview. If only I hadn't waited til the summer term of first year to tell him how I was feeling! All that agony for no good reason... :moon:

You are awesome - it's time to start owning that! People can be little shits about things like A Level grades and like to make others feel inferior due to having lower grades than them - but that says far more about them and their insecurities, than it does anything about you

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You said u get ridiculed??? Please elaborate or confirm that. I cant believe that. IS that what its like to be where u are??? wow

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

It's your a-levels. they don't matter. the only thing they're good for is getting you into the university that you want, and they did that. you need to stop dwelling on this and look at what is currently relevant to your life, which is your degree.

and fyi, universities offering mitigation to those who have suffered mentally or physically during their exams or study is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. it shows they see the potential in you despite your unfortunate circumstances and that they would rather have you, who still got amazing grades despite battling an awful illness that took a great mental and physical toll, over someone who got A* A* A but had nothing holding them back. it means they see the human side of achievement instead of just a numbers and percentage game.

and if you genuinely get ridiculed then you need to find a new social circle. just confirms the stereotype that half the people at oxbridge are *****

(Original post by physicseastldn)
    Is this someone trying to be PaigeY - The Cambridge student vlogger?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but she does physical natural science, took 4 A Levels and got A*A*AA. Not really the same thing...

Hi,

I was rejected with a 4A* prediction, most likely because I flunked the NSAA and interview (which are the hardest parts of the application process). You must deserve to be there

wow i cant believe people are treating you like that, your grades are great! the fact you also had extenuating circumstances and still managed to achieve your grades just shows you deserve to be there. I'm sure your peers would find it a struggle to achieve your grades if they had similar circumstances. honestly ignore them if u can, cambridge tutors reject applicants with 4a*s- there's a reason you are there and it isn't sympathy- it's because you are capable.

ReputationRep:
    What matters is YOU did exceptionally well EVEN IN YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES. Cambridge wanted you because you have potential to learn! Not a lot of people get this opportunity. What matters is what you make of it right now, prove everyone wrong!

You achieved what you did despite going through a lot of stuff that would truly ruin the grades of most people. Considering your attendance and the way you had to learn, the grades you got are outstanding and they demonstrate not only that you worked ridiculously hard, but also that you have incredible natural ability.

Don't look at the other people on your course and think 'you got better results than me'. Look at them and wonder 'in my shoes, could you have got my results?'

You deserve to be there. Probably more than most.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I can’t say this enough: impostor syndrome is very common at the elite universities and you aren’t the only one feeling it.

In undergrad it seems to be less acknowledged/talked about, but in my cohort of postgraduate students at the University of Chicago, we were always talking to each other about how we almost all universally suffered from impostor syndrome. Part of why it’s more salient at PG level is probably because you’re expected to produce new work directly under a supervisor.

If you’re doing the work, and doing it well, this proves you’re capable of doing of work and you deserve to be there. Indeed, university admissions committees or tutors wouldn’t accept you if they didn’t genuinely believe you could handle the work load of that university.

Hi,

An admissions tutor looked at your application, met you, conversed with you, laughed with you, interviewed you, thought about you and accepted you to study at Cambridge. This same tutor is a person who lives in Cambridge, lived the Cambridge experience, knows what it takes and who can take it. They understand the history of thousands of similar people who have studied here for nearly a millennium. And they accepted you.
    You study at Cambridge University, you are as much a part of this institution as anybody else.
    By the sound of it, you've traversed some long and steep personal roads and you've still got into university. You are an extraordinary individual, on your own unique journey through life. Many people would break under similar conditions and the traits exposed in you on surviving difficulty are worth more than grades. THIS is why Oxbridge interview. Plenty of people get 3/4A*'s but the grades hide a multitude of variables about personality, education style and a 'way' of thinking.
    They've made an investment to enable your potential; bathe in the sources of knowledge and always try your best.
    Bonne Chance!

Many undergrads missed their grades and were accepted after review. I think its part of the change of A level assessment - changes statistics slightly. I'm sure quite a few students feel the same way.
    Don't worry about others' grades too much!

Moreso, many people have this feeling at top schools like Cam. It's quite common, especially if you don't have a track record of going to elite schools.

It's going to be alright. Work hard, fight through it, enjoy the education.
    GoodLuck!

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.