The Student Room Group

LGBT friendly places to live in the UK

I've posted a similar thread before, but I am currently trying to think about my future. I want to work on cruise ships, but between contracts, they tend to get a 2 month vacation, and in that time, I want to live in an area of the UK which has a lot of gay people. Somewhere that has a big population of gay people, somewhere with lots of gay spaces and somewhere that I can hold a boyfriend's hand without feeling unsafe.
Not somewhere full of religious people (mainly Muslims or strong Christians), and just somewhere that I can feel comfortable. Currently based in Glasgow - less said the better.

Thanks!
Brighton!!! :smile:
Birmingham
Peterhouse
Original post by BigGuyAkhenaten
Peterhouse

Where is that? Never heard of it before.
Original post by megsthecat
Brighton!!! :smile:

I second this. My mum has two gay friends there and they say it’s awesome and has a huge gay community.
Anyone else got a suggestion?
chelmsford?
I want to live in a largely LGBT friendly place in the U.K..
Brighton is up there, but I would want to avoid cities as much as possible and focus on towns or villages
Original post by Anonymous
Birmingham

[Only primarily white areas] I live in birmingham and all the areas around me are mostly asian, if a guy even walks out in skinny jeans he'll get called gay.
Original post by Anonymous
[Only primarily white areas] I live in birmingham and all the areas around me are mostly asian, if a guy even walks out in skinny jeans he'll get called gay.

Lol. Not true
How about Manchester or London
I'm happy with any suggestion provided that it isn't an area polluted with religion.
Original post by Hiraeth.
I want to live in a largely LGBT friendly place in the U.K..
Brighton is up there, but I would want to avoid cities as much as possible and focus on towns or villages

Err Hebden Bridge?
Original post by Joe2001
I've posted a similar thread before, but I am currently trying to think about my future. I want to work on cruise ships, but between contracts, they tend to get a 2 month vacation, and in that time, I want to live in an area of the UK which has a lot of gay people. Somewhere that has a big population of gay people, somewhere with lots of gay spaces and somewhere that I can hold a boyfriend's hand without feeling unsafe.
Not somewhere full of religious people (mainly Muslims or strong Christians), and just somewhere that I can feel comfortable. Currently based in Glasgow - less said the better.

Thanks!

Hebden Bridge is known for being incredibly LGBTQ+ friendly, it's a very small and very liberal town/village in the Calder valley in Halifax :smile:
I’m biased but, Newcastle! Pride is really good here, excellent night life and gay scene. People are generally accepting or don’t comment. Never ran into trouble over my sexuality or friends (and i’m talking very obviously LGBT people).

Brighton is the gay hub of the UK, London and Manchester seem to be the top cities people mention.
Original post by Joinedup
Err Hebden Bridge?

Ah yeah, I know about that it just seems a little boring :colondollar:. Maybe I'll stay in this god-forsaken town for a while, haven't been assaulted by the public yet
On the flip side, any places to avoid?
Original post by Joe2001
On the flip side, any places to avoid?

Bumping this one. Anywhere not to go?

Quick Reply

Latest