The Student Room Group

Police arrested councillor reporting a crime because he 'looked like' suspect

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/24/police-arrested-bristol-councillor-who-was-reporting-a-crime

Having heard this story, I was appalled. It's disgusting racism. What are they trying to say all Asians look the same? Something similar happened to one of my family members. What is your opinion on this?

Scroll to see replies

But did he actually look like the suspect?

Also, so what if he was Asian? Why does that automatically have to mean something? I'm so tired of this.
Reply 2
Original post by Cod3tte
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/24/police-arrested-bristol-councillor-who-was-reporting-a-crime

Having heard this story, I was appalled. It's disgusting racism. What are they trying to say all Asians look the same? Something similar happened to one of my family members. What is your opinion on this?

**** feds **** the undies **** the scotland yard
Reply 3
A member of the public who was a victim of crime came into the police station front office to report it saw this person there pointed at him and said to the police that was the person who committed the crime, so the police naturally acted on for information recieved, it was a random member of public who wrongly identified the man not the police.
Reply 4
Original post by Cod3tte

Is it just me or do all of the threads you create have the invariable theme that someone is notionally being a "racist"?
Original post by Cod3tte

I'd give it the 50/50, the victim himself said it's racism - i don't blame him, since even when he tried to prove them otherwise with obvious facts; they didn't listen.
Says it in the article, another man indintified him. We need to see a picture of the suspect as well to properly judge this.
Original post by Dandaman1

Also, so what if he was Asian? Why does that automatically have to mean something? I'm so tired of this.

Already TSR users are trying to excuse racism.

We need more information. What did the suspect look like? What description was given to the police of the suspect? We can’t really reach any conclusions on this being racism or not if we don’t know these answers.
Original post by physicseastldn
Already TSR users are trying to excuse racism.

There's literally nothing to suggest this had anything to do with racism. Are we seriously going to go through this every time something happens to a person who isn't white?

Try holding off until there is actually something supporting a racial motive, and stop jumping to conclusions because a dude happened to be brown.
There's literally nothing to suggest this had anything to do with racism. Are we seriously going to go through this every time something happens to a person who isn't white?

Try holding off until there is actually something supporting a racial motive, and stop jumping to conclusions because a dude happened to be brown.

I think the white assailant was a racist.
Original post by Andrew97
We need more information. What did the suspect look like? What description was given to the police of the suspect? We can’t really reach any conclusions on this being racism or not if we don’t know these answers.

Yeah, that's basically my stance, but certain people on these threads always seem to think it's racism until proven innocent, which isn't sensible or logical at all.
Original post by Napp
Is it just me or do all of the threads you create have the invariable theme that someone is notionally being a "racist"?

Is there something wrong with that? Is cod3tte breaking the guidelines? She isn't hurting anyone by posting this and you didn't have to click this thread. Who forced you?
I think the white assailant was a racist.

You think everybody is a racist...
Yeah, that's basically my stance, but certain people on these threads always seem to think it's racism until proven innocent, which isn't sensible or logical at all.

Plenty of countries use guilty until proven innocent. This isn't guilty until innocent though, we're just stating the racism of assuming a) two black girls in a line are sisters or if there is a vary in age, one is the mother and the other is the daughter b) every Asian person "looks alike" which just shows how you allow ignorant and unfounded beliefs to penetrate into your brain c) any Indian person who happens to show up when you're looking for a suspect is the suspect (especially when you assume they are Indian without asking)
You think everybody is a racist...

When have I said this? Quote me.
Plenty of countries use guilty until proven innocent. This isn't guilty until innocent though, we're just stating the racism of assuming a) two black girls in a line are sisters or if there is a vary in age, one is the mother and the other is the daughter b) every Asian person "looks alike" which just shows how you allow ignorant and unfounded beliefs to penetrate into your brain c) any Indian person who happens to show up when you're looking for a suspect is the suspect (especially when you assume they are Indian without asking)

Again, what do you actually have to support the guy thought all 'Asians look alike'? All that happened was one guy was mistaken for another. This happens all the time in day-to-day life. When it's too white guys, nobody is accused of thinking 'all white people look the same,' for crying out loud. Your paranoia and incessant need to see everything as racism is honestly sad.
When have I said this? Quote me.

It has been noted by a lot of people that it is all you seem to start threads about and it is boring.
Again, what do you actually have to support the guy thought all 'Asians look alike'? All that happened was one guy was mistaken for another. This happens all the time in day-to-day life. When it's too white guys, nobody is accused of thinking 'all white people look the same,' for crying out loud. Your paranoia and incessant need to see everything as racism is honestly sad.

The law system doesn't help her case anyway.
Original post by 999tigger
It has been noted by a lot of people that it is all you seem to start threads about and it is boring.

When did I create this thread? Lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending