The Student Room Group

A* in my EPQ! Willing to give any tips or advice! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justanotherchica
guys seriously im in the mood to give advice lmao

BUMPPPPPPPPP

Can you send me a plan or draft for your EPQ. i honest to god dont know how to write mine, its about music therapy, any help would be great about planning x
Do you have any advice on setting out your dissertation? Thanks :smile:
Original post by justanotherchica
So I got my EPQ certificate today and I got an A* and guess what guyss I was predicted a B grade :biggrin: so don't feel discouraged because you can do so much better than you think.

I did a dissertation and my investigation was:
Does Hedonism lead to immorality in The Picture of Dorian Gray and in The Great Gatsby?

As you can tell, it was literature based. It was an extremely stressful process but at times very enjoyable and an appropriate word to describe the whol experience would be "enlightening". You just learn so much not just about writing dissertations but you also get to investigate a topic that you find interesting.

If anyone would like any advice or tips, ask away and I will try to the best of my ability, if not immediately, I will try to soon ( i have to do revision lol but im procrastinating lmao :biggrin:)

too late, already submitted
Hello, I got an F, 9/50 I don’t know where I went wrong , can you suggest the easy ways of getting a high grade?
I have to submit my EPQ Production Log and I just want to add some things I am including within my Production Log. If you don't mind, could you please suggest any improvements?
> I am setting myself Deadlines
> I am reflecting back (my strengths and weaknesses and what lessons I have learnt in every page)
> What I am suggesting myself to do (Such as what else I can do to further support my EPQ research and such as)
> I have done a Survey and doing that time and time again > I am reading a book to further support my Primary Research
> I am looking at what good things I did on each specific task and what I didn't then how I have improved and learnt
> And some other miscellaneous stuff that I may have not included here Thanks :smile:

And p.s. sorry if this goes out twice :frown:
improvements on whar?
Original post by School Life
I have to submit my EPQ Production Log and I just want to add some things I am including within my Production Log. If you don't mind, could you please suggest any improvements?
> I am reflecting back (my strengths and weaknesses and what lessons I have learnt in every page)
> What I am suggesting myself to do (Such as what else I can do to further support my EPQ research and such as)
> I have done a Survey and doing that time and time again > I am reading a book to further support my Primary Research
> I am looking at what good things I did on each specific task and what I didn't then how I have improved and learnt
> And some other miscellaneous stuff that I may have not included here Thanks :smile:

what exactly do you want me to suggest improvements on?
is this the project activity log?
Yeah
Because last month I had 12000 words before I read through everything and made it sound less long-winded and focusing more on the Project it'self and the lessons I have learnt of what do carry on doing and what not to do/improve
Original post by School Life

I just realised these are the things your mentioning in your PAL
They're all good things,but you should also talk about how your project has developed and channged. Perhaps you discovered something new so you had to change part of your work or maybe you changed your qeustion. ALso don't right like a list, make it sound like a personal diary, almost conversational. SOmething like this:

Fortunately something brilliant happened today. I had a lesson with Miss Whitchurch my English teacher and because she was concerned about our NEA coursework, she provided us with her username and password for her JSTOR account which gave us access to a variety of academic sources. I thought this would be brilliant for my EPQ and I’m really pleased that my dilemma from last week has been resolved.

I had a meeting with Mr. Nasskau, afterwards just to check over my Literature Review. I asked if the film for both books are useful and reliable academic sources and he said that it’s really good because it provides a different angle to the investigation. He mentioned that I had made some grammatical and spelling mistakes which I’m going to deal with now. We were also talking about citations and I was unsure whether I should reference in Harvard or Oxford style. He recommended Harvard because it’s widely used and recognised. I was also reminded that I need to complete my bibliography as well.
I’ve just been searching through JSTOR and I’ve found it very difficult to find any journal that directly links to my investigation. This is going to be harder than I thought but I’ve bookmarked some essays I thought will be useful. They’re titled: Petronius and Virgil in The Great Gatsby which came up when I searched for morality in The Great Gatsby. I also found: Sin, Excess and Nemesis: Oscar Wilde and the limits of action. I will give them a read in my next EPQ session.
Thanks So Much :smile:
I really appreciate the feedback and will have a think about how I will and where I will implement these changes.
Hi,
Congrats on getting A*! I'm struggling on how to do my lit review for my EPQ "Is Journalism in the UK Ethical?" could you give an example or something to help?

Quick Reply

Latest