The Student Room Group

Tips for coping with period pain? - for the girlies

Any sure fire tips? Im bent over double in pain right now, i know hot water bottles help but I dont have one. I tend to eat alot which weirdly seems to help, but im still in alot of pain. Any tips??

thanks, cherry

Scroll to see replies

:hugs: eat lots of bananas ;yes;
Reply 2
Hmm, chocolate, asprin/paracetamol, and hot water bottles are the ones I know
Reply 3
I drink hot chocolate: it's warm, it tastes of chocolate and it cheers me up. :smile: I would also curl up with a hot water bottle - if you don't have one then you could try sitting on your bed with a pillow on your knee and then pulling your knees up towards your chest - the pillow will then absorb your body heat and act a little bit like a hot water bottle.
fetal position under blankets lol....but i've heard physical activities can help..like jumping up and down, because the pain might be from "blockage"so that might get it going?
Codeine = love.

the pain might be from "blockage"so that might get it going?
Period pain is caused by the muscles contracting as they're forcing the walls of the uterus to come away...
Orgasm... When you have period pains it is the muscles down there contracting and going crazy, an orgasm relaxes the muscles.
Reply 7
I finally went to the doctor to ask about mefenemic acid.. definitely makes things more bearable!!! It's prescription only though so probably won't help you this time around but maybe next?:smile:
Reply 8
my p.e. teachers always used to say exercise helps but that is an outright LIE.
go to your doctor and ask them to prescribe you mefenamic acid tablets as soon as you can, they work really well if you take the first dose literally the second you feel the first twinge of a cramp coming on.

edit: oh and if you don't have a water bottle try soaking a face towel under the hot tap and using that instead, it works almost as well :smile:
For me personally, exercise made it worse. I was on the floor in a ball after 5 minutes on the stepper. Never again. Next month, I'll be on the sofa, with a quilt, a hot mug of tea and the Sky Remote hehe. Oh, and lots of codeine.
thanks for the help. Ive taken 2 ibuprofens and have a hot mug of tea. unfortunatly no chocolate or bananas in this house :frown:
Microwavable heat bag... its full of wheat which heats up in the microwave and stays warm for hours and hours, way longer than a hot water bottle, and reusable! £10 from John Lewis :wink:

seriously.. its possibly my favourite possession.
SoundDevastation
Microwavable heat bag... its full of wheat which heats up in the microwave and stays warm for hours and hours, way longer than a hot water bottle, and reusable! £10 from John Lewis :wink:

seriously.. its possibly my favourite possession.

sounds really usfull, im going to find it on their website. thanks
its this! also comes in cuddly dog, cat, penguin, or in slipper form. :biggrin: the long one is nice though cause you can wrap it right round your hips where it hurts. mine is pink :biggrin:
put your hands flat over the bit that hurts and sort of roll your hands down (push in top finger first then second third etc).
If you have a vibrator (or vibrate phone function) then put it on the area and press in, really helps! I think it's because it kind of numbs it. edit;I mean on the outside, where you'd hold a hot water bottle)
I hear fizzy drinks (coke especially) help, don't understand it but apparently it's true.
Reply 15
If it was me I would try..

1) Hot water bottle (but you dont have that)
2) 2 feminax tablets (they always get rid of my pain for hours)
3) Make a mug of a hot drink and sit with it resting against your pain
4) Walk.. walking around can ease the pain slightly
nurofen, hot tea and a good film/tv programme to take my mind off it always helps!
If you are desperate for a hot water bottle then fill a plastic bottle with water and wrap it up in a towel.
hot water bottle, co-codamol, lots of bananas, lots of calcium, gentle exercise, a hot bath, and gentle stretches for your lower back really help too.

Take starflower oil all month for the next one, really helps reduce the cramps.
Hot bath, hot water bottle (definitely buy one, I couldn't live without it!), 2 fast acting extra strength painkillers (Nurofen Plus etc) and something yummy to eat. Cuddle up on the sofa under a nice blanket and watch your favourite film as well if you can! As you don't have a hot water bottle, I second the plastic bottle idea - fill it with hot water (not boiling though) and make sure the lid is tightly fixed on, then put a tea towel around it and it will be like a hot water bottle).

Quick Reply

Latest