username3089818
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have done little or no revision for most of my GCSE subjects and I feel as though i will not be able to get everything done .I get stressed really easily and am not motivated at all.I also have friends who are not interested in study and usually mess about in lessons.The only teachers that revise with us properly are biology and English language.We revise maths through matshwatch in class but I cant seem to remember what we do.I also go to an independent school and d another Islamic Studies course on the side which is equivalent to a degree and am currently in the second to last year.I get home t 5 o'clock,I am also in school on Saturday until 4:30,so please give advise according to this timetable.

The GCSEs I am taking are
Arabic
ICT
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Combined Science Trilogy

I already have GCSEs in Statistics and Urdu acheiving a grade C and A respectively.
Holly.AB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its never too late for revision to be affective , little and often is the key, try creating a timetable to help with stress and time management, focus on what you find hardest. Maybe try atleast an hour to two of productive revision per school night (with breaks in between), and then have saturday afternoon off, and then do 3ish hours on the sunday? Just a suggestion (i did 2hrs mon-thurs after school ( 2 subjects). Friday was my night off then i did around 3hrs on both sat-sun sometimes having a day off however i only was at school 9-4:30 mon-fri.) When you get study leave try if possible to stay at home or go to a library (quiet working area) so your friends cant distract or stress you before exams to help revision.

Everyone learns in a different way but i mostly learn through muscle memory/listening , practcing questions and repetition.

For English Lit i would recommend creating mindmaps with key themes, summary of analysis points and quotes for each play, book, poem and then use these to revise from and create essay plans from.
For Science + ICT making flash cards or something similar (e.g. i used a song to remeber the reactivity series in chem) can really help to remember key points on each topic and definitions, also watching youtube summarys of each section can be good to listen to or watch if youre feeling tired or unmotivated.
For maths especially (the only way you'll be able to remeber it is practice) and science and ICT past papers or text book questions (even if you have already done them) are great either to test you timing later on or to identify what your weakpoints are. Make sure to check mark schemes for exact wordings for biology and chemistry. Also doing specific topic questions can help reinforce knowledge.

I really struggled with motivation but maybe writitng down your goals on a pin board, having frequent breaks e.g. do an hour have a 15 min break outside of your study area etc, complete online quizes such as kahoots or quizlet games to help make it be more fun, see if a sibling, parent or friend would help test you after revising. I always found thinking of the lenghtened summer holidays after my exams where i would have no work motivated me to put the work in now. Also by creating mind maps or summary cards and pinning them somewhere you constantly look may help you subconciously learn it e.g. i have a pin boared on the wall infront of my desk and when i was unmotivated i would end up staring at it so i stuck my flame and halide tests for chemistry up there so insted at staring at nothing i was staring at chemistry.

I found Jack edwards and youtubers in general have some good revision advice so you could check out some tips there.

Hope this helps and good luck!
dont forget GCSEs arnt the end of the world, just try your best
username3089818
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
[QUOTE=Holly.AB;77273566]

I found Jack edwards and youtubers in general have some good revision advice so you could check out some tips there.

We are not getting nay study leave as the head feels we will get no reviision done at home and also because I will ahve to go to school from 12:45-5:00 for my islamic studies course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (4)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
25%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (0)
0%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
12.5%

Watched Threads