The Student Room Group

HND then ill health leaves a gap

I wanted to do a degree in law, due to a long gap in education I was advised to do Hnd the next LLB, I finished the HND and passed but I went ill, i have a large gap so can’t go to year 2 like I should have, so would have to do year 1, but as ive already had 2 years of funding would be short a year, any one know anything?
Original post by Stewie bear
I wanted to do a degree in law, due to a long gap in education I was advised to do Hnd the next LLB, I finished the HND and passed but I went ill, i have a large gap so can’t go to year 2 like I should have, so would have to do year 1, but as ive already had 2 years of funding would be short a year, any one know anything?

Very strange imo to be told to do a HND.
How long ago was it?
Have you only tried one uni?

Having and a look there are a small number of top up law degrees, but they look unsatisfactory.

That leaves you with either trying to to put in a compelling personal reason claim if you were ill during the HND an you can get a Dr to back you up. You cna try and say you started being ill during the HND and that prevented you from continuing, even though you managed to scrape the course. that could get you that years funding back and free to do a Law degree.

Alternatively you are going to have to do more research to see if you can find someone willing to take you with HND.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Very strange imo to be told to do a HND.
How long ago was it?
Have you only tried one uni?

Having and a look there are a small number of top up law degrees, but they look unsatisfactory.

That leaves you with either trying to to put in a compelling personal reason claim if you were ill during the HND an you can get a Dr to back you up. You cna try and say you started being ill during the HND and that prevented you from continuing, even though you managed to scrape the course. that could get you that years funding back and free to do a Law degree.

Alternatively you are going to have to do more research to see if you can find someone willing to take you with HND.

Hi

I did it 5 years ago and the uni only allows a max 5 year gap, and to be honest I’m not sure if returning next year or the year after, HND is uni specific, you can’t continue at other uni’s as the subjects covered differ in years uni to uni...
Hi

I did it 5 years ago and the uni only allows a max 5 year gap, and to be honest I’m not sure if returning next year or the year after, HND is uni specific, you can’t continue at other uni’s as the subjects covered differ in years uni to uni...

For a Law degree it shouldnt matter. the only difference is if you havent done enough for a QLD, in which case they can make the options available. I would think Law is one of the most easily compatible if they want to as modules are self contained.

The interesting point is whether they will allow cpr for events after the time you were at uni. Normally it is events during uni. You will have to ask sfe.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
For a Law degree it shouldnt matter. the only difference is if you havent done enough for a QLD, in which case they can make the options available. I would think Law is one of the most easily compatible if they want to as modules are self contained.

The interesting point is whether they will allow cpr for events after the time you were at uni. Normally it is events during uni. You will have to ask sfe.

I have spoken to all others and they say no, reason they give is mapping the course what ever that means, the second point will be it’s been more than 5 years and will I remember enough.

I’m not going on to be a solicitor so not worried about the progression.
I have spoken to all others and they say no, reason they give is mapping the course what ever that means, the second point will be it’s been more than 5 years and will I remember enough.

I’m not going on to be a solicitor so not worried about the progression.

Any way round it off [there are over 100 law degree], then you will be asked to pay the first years fees unless you sort something out.

Quick Reply

Latest