The Student Room Group

Can sixth form withdraw you from A Level?

Our sixth form is threatening to withdraw anyone who does poor in their upcoming maths mock exams from sitting A Level maths this year? Exam season is about to begin in about 3 weeks.
Can the sixth form actually withdraw students from the exam at such a last minute?
Original post by abcstudent23
Our sixth form is threatening to withdraw anyone who does poor in their upcoming maths mock exams from sitting A Level maths this year? Exam season is about to begin in about 3 weeks.
Can the sixth form actually withdraw students from the exam at such a last minute?

Normally what'll happen is they'll make you sit the exam as an external candidate, meaning you'll have to pay the exam fee's yourself.
Original post by Anagogic
Normally what'll happen is they'll make you sit the exam as an external candidate, meaning you'll have to pay the exam fee's yourself.

But the entries have already been submitted?
Reply 3

No, what Anagogic mean is if you fail to perform highly this year, they may keep you on the course, but you'll have to pay for the exams next year and sit it as a private candidate elsewhere.
Original post by Quizlet
No, what Anagogic mean is if you fail to perform highly this year, they may keep you on the course, but you'll have to pay for the exams next year and sit it as a private candidate elsewhere.

So basically, they can't witdraw you from the exam for this year (the real exam which starts in 3 weeks). But if you fail the real exam this year, you will have to pay to sit it externally.
Correct?
Reply 5
So basically, they can't witdraw you from the exam for this year (the real exam which starts in 3 weeks). But if you fail the real exam this year, you will have to pay to sit it externally.
Correct?

They can actually withdraw you out of the exam, and they can also "kick" you out of the college too. Some colleges are lenient and let you stay but you might have to pay to sit your exams.
Not sure if it's been understood. But next week we have MOCK EXAMS. If performance in those mock exams are poor, we are being told we will be withdrawn from the Summer Examinations this year.
That should be a bit clear
Original post by Quizlet
They can actually withdraw you out of the exam, and they can also "kick" you out of the college too. Some colleges are lenient and let you stay but you might have to pay to sit your exams.

Does it not cost a huge amount to make changes last minute with the exam board?
They can't kick you out the college for academic reasons, but I don't know about the exams tho.
Big fat lies. They say this every year and nothing happens at my school (then again its not the most academic of the lot).
I mean, don't you think it just looks like they're scaring you into better grades lol?
Original post by Radioactivedecay
They can't kick you out the college for academic reasons, but I don't know about the exams tho.

They can. Our college has kicked people out for getting U's at AS. Literally.

That doesn't matter. Normally it's just fear mongering anyway... I think only in severe cases they'd go to that length.
Original post by Quizlet

This isn't AS though. It's 2nd year, about to sit A Level exams

AS is a different story. That's understandable to kick out at that time
Original post by Quizlet

No they can't. It is against the law. Unless they have outlined clear minimum targets in their policy, then they can't. They can hold you back though.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest