The Student Room Group

4a aqa a2

- 2016 The realisty of the modern presidency is one of vulnerablility not sterngth
To what extent does the executive branch help or hinder us presidents (30 marks)- 2017
ive been stuck on these 30 mark questions for ages, and cant think of what to write for them - i think its the questions that are throwing me off - does anyone know what i would include?
Reply 1
i am aslo struggling with answering these 10 mark questions -
Examine the role and importance of the federal agencies in the us goverment (10 marks)
Examine the concept of clientism in the us federal buracrecy (10 marks)
Reply 2
I took the GOV4A exam in 2016. For the question about whether the modern presidency is one of vulnerability not strength, I discovered that modern presidents are from FD Roosevelt onwards. To get high grades, the examiners like to see loads of examples. For this you could talk about Congress reasserting its authority after Nixon's involvement in Watergate, leading to scholars suggesting that post-Watergate presidencies, particularly Ford and Carter, were relatively weak, Clinton's defeat of his healthcare proposals by his own party, Obama failing to persuade Democrats to vote for gun law reform, and the Senate refusing to hold a hearing on his Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland in 2016. They will probably now want to see Trump mentioned as well. The failure of his skinny repeal of Obamacare which came down to one vote, McCain, might be worth mentioning.I'd then probably challenge the question too, as presidents usually show signs of strength in times of war, depression, and crisis, with Roosevelt being the best example of such a president. George W Bush also showed strength after 9/11 with the Patriot Act, signing statements, and Congress passing much of his legislation.Hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by Cam11900
I took the GOV4A exam in 2016. For the question about whether the modern presidency is one of vulnerability not strength, I discovered that modern presidents are from FD Roosevelt onwards. To get high grades, the examiners like to see loads of examples. For this you could talk about Congress reasserting its authority after Nixon's involvement in Watergate, leading to scholars suggesting that post-Watergate presidencies, particularly Ford and Carter, were relatively weak, Clinton's defeat of his healthcare proposals by his own party, Obama failing to persuade Democrats to vote for gun law reform, and the Senate refusing to hold a hearing on his Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland in 2016. They will probably now want to see Trump mentioned as well. The failure of his skinny repeal of Obamacare which came down to one vote, McCain, might be worth mentioning.I'd then probably challenge the question too, as presidents usually show signs of strength in times of war, depression, and crisis, with Roosevelt being the best example of such a president. George W Bush also showed strength after 9/11 with the Patriot Act, signing statements, and Congress passing much of his legislation.Hope this helps

thats so helpful thank you; i though i had to tlak about the increase use of media beucase the question talks about modern presidents
Reply 4
Original post by fredd99
thats so helpful thank you; i though i had to tlak about the increase use of media beucase the question talks about modern presidents

Save that for GOV3A mate,
Reply 5
Original post by Cam11900
Save that for GOV3A mate,

“In the past the two main parties were organistionally weak and in ideological decline”. 2017

Why are US parties often described as weak organisations, and how accurate is the description today? (30 marks) 2011

Assess the extent to which the two main US parties may still be characterised as organisationally weak and in decline. (30 marks) 2013

IVE been stuck on these 3 30 markers, has anyone answerd them, and got current affaries within them - if you have anwerd one of them then PLEASEould you send it to me because i learn from reading 30 mark questions and am really struggling with answering the organisatioanlly weak and in decline ones
THANK YOU

Quick Reply

Latest