is eating less than 800 calories a day healthy?

Watch
Shivishaker
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am 5'8, weighed 98 kg 2 weeks ago, did <800 calorie diet, running10 kilometers everyday. I only eat fruit(which is the 600-800 calories). I now weigh 93kg, is this a good diet for me?
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, it is a starvation diet and is not sustainable.
CleverSquirrel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
this will probably have the opposite effect.

When you are on a very low calorie diet like 800, your body goes in to starvation mode, slowing down your metabolism, making it hard for you to burn fat and lose weight. Your body actually starts to store your fat instead of burn it because it doesn't know when you will be feeding it next.

Plus when you start your reg diet again, you'll gain the weight back

so to do it healthily, eat clean, track calories but dont cut them down to such extremes, carry on running and working out and you'll see results. Your body needs the calories to function, starving your body from that isnt a good idea
Shivishaker
Rep:
?
how am I supposed to eat normally but keep a calorie deficit? I need to lose a lot of weight and I just have 1 month to do it...
DarkKnight06
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How can you eat less? I eat out of boredom sometimes..
CleverSquirrel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Shivishaker)
how am I supposed to eat normally but keep a calorie deficit? I need to lose a lot of weight and I just have 1 month to do it...
you can eat under 500 calorie meals 3-4 times a day, a calorie deficit doesn't mean starve yourself and eat less than 1000. The min calorie deficit should be 1500.

like this https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...-calorie-meals obvs you can swap ingredients etc, but you need the nutrients that healthy meals have to lose weight effectively
Destrohades
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is a starvation diet and in the long run will make ur bodyfat percentage worse as you'll lose muscle as well as fat. I am also losing weight rn and have gone from 103kg to 92kg in about 8 weeks. I did this by eating in a calorie deficit of about 300-500 of my basic metabolic rate, weighttraining and increasong my non exercise energy expenditure e
g. by walking. This is far more effective than starvation diets as whilst the weight loss is slower, i have lost predominantly fat and not muscle. With a starvation diet you will eventually plateau, as your metabolism will slow down drastically, hindering ur ability to lose weight. My advice calculate ur BMR and then eat 300-500 calories less than that and follow an effective gym workout such as shortcut to shred. This will help you burn fat quickly via exercise and increased metabolism, minimise muscle loss and you will not gain any of ur weight back by upping ur calories as you will still be in a deficit.
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you crash diet you'll just gain it back. Eat at least 1500 cals a day. More if you're running 10k.
cameron_supafitt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This isn't good for you at all. Firstly you need a balanced diet, next is to figure out what your goals are for yourself and then start to make a plan to obtain them. if you want to get rid of fat then i suggest finding out your caloric maintenance number and be in a caloric deficit of 500 calories. couple this with strength training and the occasional HIIT sprints or bike work then you'll be lean, defined and will have a sustainable diet that you can get to your desired look and then maintain much easier.
cameron_supafitt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am 5'8, weighed 98 kg 2 weeks ago, did <800 calorie diet, running10 kilometers everyday. I only eat fruit(which is the 600-800 calories). I now weigh 93kg, is this a good diet for me?
This isn't good for you at all. Firstly you need a balanced diet, next is to figure out what your goals are for yourself and then start to make a plan to obtain them. if you want to get rid of fat then i suggest finding out your caloric maintenance number and be in a caloric deficit of 500 calories. couple this with strength training and the occasional HIIT sprints or bike work then you'll be lean, defined and will have a sustainable diet that you can get to your desired look and then maintain much easier.
The Scotfather
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
The fact you only eat fruit is quite bad. It needs to be varied! Focus on small steps and small decreases.
Shivishaker
Rep:
?
I honestly don't know how to start increasing my calorie count... I don't even feel hungry anymore, I feel super healthy, and each 10 k run has been great. The compliments from friends and family saying that I look thinner and nicer boost my motivation to continue to eat less... just bought more fruit. I honestly don't know what to do, listen to your advice (this comment thread) or the people that abused me (body shamed) when I was fat my entire life.
Issakatie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i eat barely anything genuinely I don't eat breakfast or lunch most days and I probably have less than 1000 calories a day I wouldn't recommend because I'm not losing weight my metabolism appears to be non existent
Shivishaker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Issakatie)
i eat barely anything genuinely I don't eat breakfast or lunch most days and I probably have less than 1000 calories a day I wouldn't recommend because I'm not losing weight my metabolism appears to be non existent
do you run 10 kilometers and 15min ab work out too?
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You need to calculate your TDEE, loads of websites will do it for you then give you a rough guide to how many calories you should be aiming to consume to maintain a deficit. You don’t want to crash diet, realistically you’re not going to lose a significant amount in a month so just be sensible about it.
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, absolutely not.
username3832246
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sounds like you've got an eating disorder.
Issakatie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
do you run 10 kilometers and 15min ab work out too?
no I used to do that kinda thing then accepted myself as being slightly lazy
Rysrdn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're doing a crashed diet. Consult a nutritionist or a fitness centre. I'm 5'9" and weight 90 kg. You need at least 1200 calories to have a fit and healthy body.
username3626986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
definitely not its not sustainable and you will most likely end up binging. you should eat around 1800 calories and after 4 weeks is you are not losing weight drop it down to 1600 kcal and see how much difference it makes. this is a more sustainable way and you will make slower progress but will keep the weight off easier
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.31%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
32.31%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (36)
12.24%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (25)
8.5%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.78%
I think it's an unfair expectation (73)
24.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.02%

Watched Threads