LAW: Cambridge Harvard LLM/JD Program ( and other questions) Watch

wla01284
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I’m interested in studying Law at Trinity College and intend to proceed with the application process this coming fall.
Background:

I graduated ( Class of 2017)magma *** laude (3.7 GPA) in Political Science and Philosophy from Columbia University. Hopefully I will be beginning my graduate studies in human rights law ( ma NOT llm) this fall.

I’m currently 20 years of age so I will be 21/22 when I begin Law school - assuming, of course, I am accepted.

Questions:

1) How does Cambridge typically view candidates with my profile? In other words, does my mature-student status hinder my chances to be accepted?
2) how does the Cambridge Harvard LLM/JD program work? Despite being a U.K. national I intend to return to the US to pursue an SJD.

I would greatly appreciate so insight and advice. Please excuse how early this is posted.

Sincerest Thanks in Advance.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
NYU℠
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by wla01284)
I’m interested in studying Law at Trinity College and intend to proceed with the application process this coming fall.
Background:

I graduated ( Class of 2017)magma *** laude (3.7 GPA) in Political Science and Philosophy from Columbia University. Hopefully I will be beginning my graduate studies in human rights law ( ma NOT llm) this fall.

I’m currently 20 years of age so I will be 21/22 when I begin Law school - assuming, of course, I am accepted.

Questions:

1) How does Cambridge typically view candidates with my profile? In other words, does my mature-student status hinder my chances to be accepted?
2) how does the Cambridge Harvard LLM/JD program work? Despite being a U.K. national I intend to return to the US to pursue an SJD.

I would greatly appreciate so insight and advice. Please excuse how early this is posted.

Sincerest Thanks in Advance.
(1) Why are you doing an MA in human rights if you intend to pursue legal education? I assume it’s the Columbia MA program?

(2) I don’t believe you can do the JD/LLM program. HLS students in their 2L apply to do their 3L year at Cambridge, allowing them to complete their 3L JD and LLM simultaneously. I do not believe you can apply to Cambridge as an LLM student (without a prior law degree) and be admitted for 2 years to HLS.

(3) Why do you want a US JD? US legal education is significantly more expensive.

(4) Why do you want a US SJD? These are not typically for new LLM graduates, but rather, those who already have professional experience and/or law teaching experience. Why not get a Law PhD from a U.K. Law school?
wla01284
Rep:
?
(Original post by NYU2012)
(1) Why are you doing an MA in human rights if you intend to pursue legal education? I assume it’s the Columbia MA program?

(2) I don’t believe you can do the JD/LLM program. HLS students in their 3L apply to do their 3L year at Cambridge, allowing them to complete their 3L JD and LLM simultaneously. I do believe you can apply to Cambridge as an LLM student (without a prior law degree) and be admitted for 2 years to HLS.

(3) Why do you want a US JD? US legal education is significantly more expensive.

(4) Why do you want a US SJD? These are not typically for new LLM graduates, but rather, those who already have professional experience and/or law teaching experience. Why not get a Law PhD from a U.K. Law school?
1) I intend to spend a couple of years in academia ( or private practice) before going onto practice as a human Rights lawyer. The MA program is at the University of Manchester who offer a graduate degree in the aforementioned subject. I have recently obtained U.K. citizenship. Apologies.

2) interesting. I asked this because LSE and UCL offered joint JD and LLB programs to read at Columbia.

3) I would like to read Law in the U.K. seeing as I cannot afford the expenses for legal education in the US.

4) Harvard Law school site indicates that recent LLM grads from their law school and readily accepted onto the program.
NYU℠
  • Community Assistant
Report 9 months ago
1) I intend to spend a couple of years in academia ( or private practice) before going onto practice as a human Rights lawyer. The MA program is at the University of Manchester who offer a graduate degree in the aforementioned subject. I have recently obtained U.K. citizenship. Apologies.

2) interesting. I asked this because LSE and UCL offered joint JD and LLB programs to read at Columbia.

3) I would like to read Law in the U.K. seeing as I cannot afford the expenses for legal education in the US.

4) Harvard Law school site indicates that recent LLM grads from their law school and readily accepted onto the program.
(1) Why do you need a full law degree? With a BA and MA you’re more than qualified to do the 1 year GDL and either BPTC or LPC.

(2) LLB is Bachelor of Laws. LLM is Master of Laws. An LLB and JD are equivalent degrees. It would make sense that LSE and UCL offer joint LLB/JD degrees — you spend your first two years at LSE or UCL; and then your third year at Columbia and you earn your JD. Columbia students are also eligible to do this program in reverse. It doesn’t make any sense for Cambridge to admit you to a 1 year LLM program without any prior law degree, and then enable you to piggyback an LLM admission as a way into another 2 years of Harvard JDs classes.

(3) Then you should pursue an LLB. Perhaps the joint LLB/JD program, but you would likely be better off doing a 2 year Senior Status program. Such programs would not enable you to practice in the US (only a 3 year LLB would likely qualify for New York Bar Exam admission), but if you want to practice in the UK, then this shouldn’t be your concern.

(4) Yes, it differs by law school. Most JSDs are not intended for very recent graduates; some law schools only admit US JD students; some law schools only admit their own graduates. You would likely be better served pursuing a UK PhD in law, if you were intent on obtaining the highest doctorate in law — if you intend to practice law, it’s unclear why you would want or need a doctorate.
wla01284
Rep:
?
(1) Why do need a full law degree? With a BA and MA you’re more than qualified to do the 1 year GDL and either BPTC or LPC.

(2) LLB is Bachelor of Laws. LLM is Master of Laws. An LLB and JD are equivalent degrees. It would make sense that LSE and UCL offer joint LLB/JD degrees — you spend your first two years at LSE or UCL; and then your third year at Columbia and you earn your JD. Columbia students are also eligible to do this program in reverse. It doesn’t make any sense for Cambridge to admit you to an LLM program without any prior law degree, and then enable you to piggyback an LLM admission as a way into Harvard JDs class.

(3) Then you should pursue an LLB. Perhaps the joint LLB/JD program, but you would likely be better off doing a 2 year Senior Status program. Such programs would not enable you to practice in the US (only a 3 year LLB would likely qualify for New York Bar Exam admission), but if you want to practice in the UK, then this shouldn’t be your concern.

(4) Yes, it differs by law school. Most JSDs are not intended for very recent graduates; some law schools only admit US JD students; some law schools only admit their own graduates. You would likely be better served pursuing a UK PhD in law, if you were intent on obtaining the highest doctorate in law — if you intend to practice law, it’s unclear why you would want or need a doctorate.
I will take your arguments in consideration. Thank you.

Also, if I did apply to trinity college, how would the tutors view me as a candidate? Assuming I even did apply?
NYU℠
  • Community Assistant
Report 9 months ago

Also, if I did apply to trinity college, how would the tutors view me as a candidate? Assuming I even did apply?
Well, Cambridge offers a Senior Status LLB: a two year program. I assume you would apply for this. A 3.7 GPA falls on the cusp between an upper 2:1 and a 1st. I know students that have been rejected by Cambridge even with strong US GPAs. You have a reasonable chance of admission, but it’s no guarantee.

Are you intending to pursue an academic career, or are you simply interested in practicing human rights law?
wla01284
Rep:
?
How strong of a candidate would I be if I applied for the normal 3-year Law Degree?
wla01284
Rep:
?
Well, Cambridge offers a Senior Status LLB: a two year program. I assume you would apply for this. A 3.7 GPA falls on the cusp between an upper 2:1 and a 1st. I know students that have been rejected by Cambridge even with strong US GPAs. You have a reasonable chance of admission, but it’s no guarantee.

Are you intending to pursue an academic career, or are you simply interested in practicing human rights law?
How strong of a candidate would I be if I applied for the normal 3-year Law Degree?
NYU℠
  • Community Assistant
Report 9 months ago
I wouldn’t say you would get any favoritism for applying to the three year, as opposed to two year program. Cambridge has specific minimums that they’re looking for, and their standards are very high. They have the ability to be extremely selectively. The best you can do is apply and see what happens. I would recommend, if you’re intent on doing an LLB as opposed to GDL, that you apply to multiple programs.

Perhaps Notoriety has better admissions statistics or information.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

I suggest you contact Trinity and a few other colleges and ask them. Each college is responsible for its own undergraduate admissions and may view your situation differently.

You should specifically contact 1 or 2 mature colleges (eg Wolfson) also.

To be clear, the Law department is responsible for much of your teaching, not your college. You graduate with the same BA whether you go to Trinity or Wolfson.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (30)
11.41%
I used to but I don't now (10)