Turn on thread page Beta

"Young people can only read digital clocks" watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Some schools are set to install digital clocks to help students tell the time during their exams this summer. Malcolm Trobe, of the ASCL head teachers' union, said young people were much more used to using digital clocks. Trobe explains "Young people find it a bit easier to use a digital clock - and if they're timing themselves for questions, it might make it less likely that they'll make mistakes,".

You can read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Should schools switch out to digital clocks? Would this help you during your exams?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Old clocks can come in handy, but digital ones you can always count on.

Long out of school, but this sounds like a stupid idea. It took me a while to get to grips with a proper clock, but it's much easier to judge a length of time as a sllice of the pie. Much easier. The only thing that would be even easier would be a 24hr analogue clock.

ReputationRep:
    First and foremost, just teach kids to read analog clocks, it's not hard.
    That being said, I think it's fine if schools add a digital clock alongside an analog clock. If having a digital clock helps de-stress some kids, then I don't see why not help them.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely know people my age that can't tell the time on an analogue clock. If individuals can't tell the time, they should wear their own digital watch, don't dumb the whole system down.

ReputationRep:
    young people:

can operate tiny keyboards with eyes closed

can make movies in bedroom and send all over world

can't read a clock

:emo:

ReputationRep:
    What's a clock?

Name:  whats a clock.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  14.7 KB
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    :noway: World's gone mad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    Some schools are set to install digital clocks to help students tell the time during their exams this summer. Malcolm Trobe, of the ASCL head teachers' union, said young people were much more used to using digital clocks. Trobe explains "Young people find it a bit easier to use a digital clock - and if they're timing themselves for questions, it might make it less likely that they'll make mistakes,".

What do you make of this? Should schools switch out to digital clocks? Would this help you during your exams?
    My school does use a digital clock- I like it as it’s simple, you can quickly check the time whereas with other clocks you have to think for a bit to read it. This isn’t necessarily useful in exams.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sounds like students just BSing for laughs

ReputationRep:
    saw this story in the newspaper today and was pretty shocked

I think it's appalling tbh.....

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who has my analog watch with me and exams? Thereby not needing to look at the one at the front.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I'm so used to having a good picture of how many pieces of the analogue clock there are left that I might find it a bit more difficult to tell how much time I had left when using a digital clock.
    Sure I can read the numbers much faster digitally, but it'll take me ages longer to work out how much time I have in my head. :eyeball:
    Analogue for moi; depends what the students are used to. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see how this particular change could be considered detrimental in any way whatsoever. The main consideration in this scenario should be for a student's ability to monitor the time effectively (i.e. prudently) during an exam, regardless of the type of clock used in the process of doing so.

ReputationRep:
    digital clocks won't change a thing, if a student is so concerned about timing, they should wear a watch or learn to read a proper clock.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)

No, stick with analogue. I could tell the time on a analogue clock by the time I was 4. On the other hand my 20 year old sister cant.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I just saw this and the inital reaction was to laugh but then I thought that it's very likely future generations won't use analog clocks at all in their homes. Is this really a problem? Lots of non-digital devices have been replaced over the years and life goes on. Eventually there won't be any point teaching how to read the time in schools and to me that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer analog clocks over digital because I find it easier to see how long is left.

ReputationRep:
    They should be able to use both as well as each other after finishing infants. So in primary school telling the time and knowing how much is left shouldn't be a problem. Yet secondary school students who are taking their GCSEs are struggling? I think generations must be getting dumber

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but what is wrong with adopting to a new and efficient method while discarding a less efficient one.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 26, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.