This discussion is closed.
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is this?/I'm confused
Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

P80 - Alfie Evans petitionThis petition calls on the government to allow Alfie Evans to travel to Italy for treatment and allow for all patients to be transported to private facilities or to foreign countries at others expense if the courts rule to remove nhs treatment.

This case is having a negative impact on the hospital with its reputation being questioned and protests being held having an impact on the accessibility of the hospital, police resources are being used to protect the hospital and a bed is being used that could be free if we allow travel to Italy.

It’s also having a negative impact on the countries image making it seem like a heartless nation who will send children to their deaths.

It shouldn’t matter what the state thinks, the courts should not be able to sentence someone to death whether that is an ill 2 year old or a 45 year old murderer, so if you joined the no campaign for the death sentence referendum but are against this ask yourself who deserves a chance the most an innocent child or a serious criminal.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I strongly support this petition owing to the fact that decision by NHS bureaucrats (supported by the courts) is effectively bureaucratic murder.

The moral of the story here is that bureaucrats should not have the power to decide who lives and who dies; that line of reasoning is a slippery slope to morally evil acts.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The problem with these cases is that the hospitals want to turn off life support rather than transferring them and this leads to month long legal battles, in those months the other treatments could have been tried. The refusal to allow treatment doesn't really change anything other than preventing treatment.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not sure how I feel about this so I'll abstain for now.
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
wait someone fill me in here , why isn't he allowed to go to italy
Joep95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ray_Shadows)
Because British doctors believe it’s best he dies, his parents disagreed and the courts sided with the doctors.
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joep95)
Because British doctors believe it’s best he dies, his parents disagreed and the courts sided with the doctors.
oh dam that's kind of messed up :/
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because the Itallians can do nothing extra to what his current doctors are doing except put extra stress on travelling. All the Italians have said is to keep him on support and the palliative care. There is no cure or answer. Let the boy die in dignaty and peace.
Joep95
Rep:
?
oh dam that's kind of messed up :/
His condition is very bad in defence of the doctors
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Guru Jason)
Because the Itallians can do nothing extra to what his current doctors are doing except put extra stress on travelling. All the Italians have said is to keep him on support and the palliative care. There is no cure or answer. Let the boy die in dignaty and peace.
His condition is very bad in defence of the doctors
yeh some good points actually , i pray for his time left to be peaceful
Bham369
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
These doctors know what they are talking about! They have been trained for years! The poor kid is simply suffering it would be kinder to allow him to die with dignity than prolonging it.
Joep95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bham369)
These doctors know what they are talking about! They have been trained for years! The poor kid is simply suffering it would be kinder to allow him to die with dignity than prolonging it.
And the doctors in Italy are uneducated idiots?
Bham369
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And the doctors in Italy are uneducated idiots?
I didn't say that. But they can do no more than we can in this country. Let him die where he was born and with dignity.
Joep95
Rep:
?
I didn't say that. But they can do no more than we can in this country. Let him die where he was born and with dignity.
So why give the doctors who want to stop treating a child more respect than the ones who want to treat it?

I say let’s fight to the very end, never give up on life.
Bham369
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So why give the doctors who want to stop treating a child more respect than the ones who want to treat it?

I say let’s fight to the very end, never give up on life.
Again it will mean less suffering for him in the end. By keeping him alive at the moment you are just making him suffer more. I respect the doctors who want to let him die because it is clear they have his best interests in mind.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Again it will mean less suffering for him in the end. By keeping him alive at the moment you are just making him suffer more. I respect the doctors who want to let him die because it is clear they have his best interests in mind.
Death is never the best option.
Bham369
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Death is never the best option.
And prolonging unnecessary suffering is?
Joep95
Rep:
?
And prolonging unnecessary suffering is?
I would take an infinitesimally small chance of survival over guaranteed death any day of the week.
Juvilation
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No poin in a petition, the doctors arent gonna change their minds about ****
Bham369
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would take an infinitesimally small chance of survival over guaranteed death any day of the week.
Hate to say this but also think how much it is costing to treat him! That could save plenty more lives. I really do feel for him and his family but it is best to let him die
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.86%
No I don't (148)
46.39%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed