The Student Room Group

[Poll] How do you watch films?

Poll

What service/platform do you use?

A debate amongst the hard core film/cinephiles is raging and it's all about how the youth of today consume media. To many it's barbarick that someone would watch a film on their phone and regarded as a disservice to all involved. However im curious what services/way you watch films?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do occasionally dabble in the practice of going out to the cinema because of social events
I have an unlimited pass for my theater so I try to go a few times a month depending on if anything good is on. If I really like something I'll buy it on my personal iTunes account or wait for it to show up on Netflix, the rest I'll either use my dad's iTunes account to rent or download (👀) it somewhere else. I do have the Extended Lord of the Rings Trilogy BluRays but I got rid of my playstation so I don't have a way to watch them anymore 😭
Reply 3
Original post by GUMI
Mostly illegally but I do occasionally dabble in the practice of going out to the cinema because of social events

Interesting. Do you find the price of content too expensive or is it the location/method to watch it is more convenient?
My first port of call is always Netflix. When that doesn't have what I'm looking for I resort to streaming sites.
I never watch films or TV on my phone, but if the intent of consuming media is purely for entertainment purposes, then I don't see why anyone should care how it is consume.
If you want to make a case for artistic and critical viewing needing certain platforms/quality/device, then sure, go ahead, but most just wanna watch some good ****.
Reply 5
Original post by alexschmalex
I have an unlimited pass for my theater so I try to go a few times a month depending on if anything good is on. If I really like something I'll buy it on my personal iTunes account or wait for it to show up on Netflix, the rest I'll either use my dad's iTunes account to rent or download (👀) it somewhere else. I do have the Extended Lord of the Rings Trilogy BluRays but I got rid of my playstation so I don't have a way to watch them anymore 😭

Do you ever wish the digital services provided better quality? Or have you not noticed a difference between the digital services and disc? :beard:
I go to the cinema to watch films as I have one of the cinema unlimited cards so go a few times a month to watch films, I will watch older ones on Sky cinema which I have recently got which are good, the cinema is still probably the better place to see movies though.
I watch films too rarely for it to be worth my while buying any sort of subscription. I prefer to pay for VPN instead lol. You can watch quite a few on YouTube as well if you know where and how to look.
I watch films in many different ways. Sometimes it is streaming, sometimes it is DVD, quite often it is free TV and if a good film is aired, it is the cinema now and then.
With my eyes closed.
Original post by Notoriety
With my eyes closed.

But with your ears opened at least (can they be closed anyway)? :biggrin: guess you confuse films with audiobooks. :tongue:
Reply 11
Legally....

:innocent:
Netflix usually. The only DVD I've bought in the past few years was the official recording of a concert I attended.
Illegally (oops) on my laptop. I watch movies very rarely though.
Original post by UWS
Legally....

:innocent:

Someway I can't believe your statement.

Original post by sinfonietta
Netflix usually. The only DVD I've bought in the past few years was the official recording of a concert I attended.

And I thought that I have bought few DVDs in the last years. In comparison to you it is a lot.
I do not.

If I ever watch a film, it is because my family put it on TV or Netflix.
Amazon Firestick with various apps that play any stream that's online. It's absolutely brilliant.
(edited 5 years ago)
I pirate it. If you know your way around the internet you can find places that offer very high quality movies which are low in download size too.
Original post by Michiyo
I do not.

If I ever watch a film, it is because my family put it on TV or Netflix.

Same :five:
Not really a film fan at all altho I do like going cinema occasionally :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by IKEAPanda37
Same :five:
Not really a film fan at all altho I do like going cinema occasionally :smile:

Do films just not appeal to you or is there something specific you find to be a gripe? :beard:

Latest