Turn on thread page Beta

The Simpsons: Apu actor is going to step aside watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Looking for differing opinions on this matter.

So the actor who plays the character Apu on the Simpsons is planning to step aside after a controversial debate about the character.

Reportedly Apu is just based on Indian stereotypes and is only defined by his work, arranged marriage and children.

I personally think this is a stupid debate. The Simpsons is a show about stereotypes. It doesn’t single any group out. Fat, lazy, stupid Americans; donut eating, incompetent cops; Italian American mobsters etc.

I feel SJW are just sniffing out anything to be offended by these days and are trivialising real societal issues such as racism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43892039

ReputationRep:
    Point of order;

"I am willing to step aside" is not the same as "I am stepping aside".

ReputationRep:
    As a Brown BrBritish guy i find this silly. I always take the piss out of myself and brown people in general, as well as other people from all cultures - I love to have a laugh, BUT at the same time there are a lack of brown role models on TV, and so some people watch shows like the simpsons and can become very rude towards brown people which I have experienced .

They even made an entire comedy show about indian stereotypes, which I loved. I don't think Hank should step down, but I do understand the hate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6h0...nel=BBCStudios
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkN9...hannel=mesh963

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. Why do people always find something to complain about.

ReputationRep:
    i notice all of the posters above who claim to 'have no problem with Apu' are white LMAO stfu this doesn't concern you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenOut)
    i notice all of the posters above who claim to 'have no problem with Apu' are white LMAO stfu this doesn't concern you
    What has my skin colour (which you don’t know) got to do with it?

ReputationRep:
    Do you find Apu’s portrayal as offence? In what ways?

ReputationRep:
    So you're not white? You probably are, mate. Are you part of the demographic which has been affected by this? No, didn't think so either.

And 'What has skin colour got to do with it?' Do you have a crayon up your nose? This whole issue is about the misrepresentation of brown people - it's literally all about skin colour. Moron.
    It’s one character. Regardless, cheif Wiggum is portrayed as being lazy and stupid, does that mean the U.S police force are misrepresented?

I’m not telling you my skin colour, given you seem to use it as a weapon to attack people. There is also no need to be rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew97)
    It’s one character. Regardless, cheif Wiggum is portrayed as being lazy and stupid, does that mean the U.S police force are misrepresented?

I’m not telling you my skin colour, given you seem to use it as a weapon to attack people. There is also no need to be rude.
    The point that's been made is that while the whole show are stereotypes, they're all stereotypes from one point of view.

ReputationRep:

Do you understand the concept of proportion? Chief Wiggum is one of many, many white characters in mainstream TV - which has obviously made us aware that there are different types of white people - however stretching back to the origin of the simpsons, how many mainstream brown characters do you know? Not as many, right? That's the problem - it's literally one of the only forms of representation we've had on TV and its been an absolute mockery.... I can cite Raj from TBBT as a similar case... therein lies your issue.

And how did i attack you using your skin colour? Did I call you a 'White Moron?' no, just a regular moron. I just told you its a brown people issue - which it is by the way and you got upset.
    (Original post by ed98)
    In ways when white people put on their 'Apu voice' and quote him to take the piss out of my people - because thats literally all they know about Brown people. I'm sure you can figure out on your own why it's offensive, no need to act so disingenuous. No-one cares if you, as a non-brown person, think its fine, when some brown people (who it's actually affecting, don't think this).

I can't believe Im having to spell out such an obvious problem to a forum of allegedly smart people...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    And it concerns you? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    The point that's been made is that while the whole show are stereotypes, they're all stereotypes from one point of view.
    Isn't that the same for basically any comedy that plays off of stereotypes?

ReputationRep:
    You clearly aren't willing to engage with the arguments as to why Apu is a problematic and disliked character or why some people may have problems with his portrayal or why this stereotype is not neccesarily equivalent to others in the Simpsons so I don't see why you or anyone else should engage with your lacklustre argument either.

ReputationRep:
    So you're not white? You probably are, mate. Are you part of the demographic which has been affected by this? No, didn't think so either.

And 'What has skin colour got to do with it?' Do you have a crayon up your nose? This whole issue is about the misrepresentation of brown people - it's literally all about skin colour. Moron.
    Jesus talk about butthurt over a cartoon character, look at literally every stereotype in the simpsons.

The only scottish guy is the most stereotypical scottish bloke I have ever seen, whenever there is an english guy it is pure bad teeth and "top ho chaps" type of attitude, do you see these as positive stereotypes?

Join the rest of the club, everyone gets insulted in the show what is next you are going to take a stab at South Park?

ReputationRep:
    Satirization of stereotypes is at the very core of the Simpsons. For that reason, calling Apu "problematic" because he's so stereotypically Indian is pretty funny in itself. How airheaded are these people? Regardless, Apu is a beloved, good-hearted and fleshed out character. It's not as though they're trying to give Indians a bad image.

Runaway sensitivity has apparently come at the expense of wit and comedic thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed98)
    I don't know that it's offensive (and haven't watched the Simpsons for many years) but I suspect that he's the only routinely occurring 'brown' character. If they had more of them then maybe Apu wouldn't be so easy to observe as an old-fashioned stereotype?

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. Why do people always find something to complain about.
    Maybe it is the only way to make themselves noticed in this world, what would Lammy be doing weren't it for it? Nothing much, probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)

Runaway sensitivity has apparently come at the expense of wit and comedic thought.
    We only have to look a comedy on the Beeb in the 90s and what it has become, imagine something like Men Behaving Badly or Harry Enfield and Chums now. The Slobs, the world would cave in if they aired that now.

It all started with New Labour, they were humourless.

ReputationRep:
    What I think was offensive more than anything, was not the character of Apu, but the below clip:

The fact the intellectual moral compass of the show could brush off mocking Indians as a non-issue because it was acceptable at the time is the real betrayal.

ReputationRep:
    I tell you what it will come down to - Hank Azaria plays 2-3 peripheral characters on the Simpsons, and I believe he was the one who initiated the strike years ago for more pay - they all wanted half a million dollars per episode. If he can dump Apu and still get paid the same, then he'll be all in.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.