Private Equity Investment Manager - AMA

Watch this thread
InvestmentMgr
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys - hope I can be of some help here.

About me:

- 30 years old (dinosaur around here)
- I studied at a top 5 UK university for undergraduate (arts degree) (2006-09)
- I did a Masters in Finance at the same university (2009-10)
- During my degrees, which coincided with the crisis(!) I completed a lot of spring weeks and internships across Investment banking, in Sales, Trading, M&A etc
- I ended up at an Elite boutique IB (think Rothschild, Lazard, Evercore calibre) (2011-15)
- I left in 2015 to join a 60bn AUM Private Equity fund as an Investment Manager and have been there for 3 years now

This forum was a great source of information and help to me whilst I was at my university (back in the day, I had loads of those green and yellow gems!). I'm posting here again in the hope that I can somehow help all of you with the c.10 years of experience I have across sell-side and buyside roles - if you have any questions at all for me, I'd be more than happy to help, that's why I've set this thread up! Please do ask away...
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InvestmentMgr)

About me:

- During my degrees, which coincided with the crisis(!) I completed a lot of spring weeks and internships across Investment banking, in Sales, Trading, M&A etc
- I ended up at an Elite boutique IB (think Rothschild, Lazard, Evercore calibre) (2011-15)
- I left in 2015 to join a 60bn AUM Private Equity fund as an Investment Manager and have been there for 3 years now

This forum was a great source of information and help to me whilst I was at my university (back in the day, I had loads of those green and yellow gems!). I'm posting here again in the hope that I can somehow help all of you with the c.10 years of experience I have across sell-side and buyside roles - if you have any questions at all for me, I'd be more than happy to help, that's why I've set this thread up! Please do ask away...
Some general questions:
Why did you choose to move on to PE over other buyside industries or in-house roles? What about vs staying in banking?

How has your style and content of work changed now that you're on the buyside?

Are you industry agnostic?

Would an MBA be in the cards for you going forward or is it not necessary to make partner/move up the ranks?

Some more personal questions:
I've just done a spring week at one of those firms you mentioned and was wondering on your thoughts on starting at a BB vs a comparable firm?

How would you rank the different types of banks based on buyside recruiter interest/representation within your firm?

What advice would you give to those heading into summer recruiting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
adamantacademic
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Salary
xtrembob
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

About me:

Vanilla PE or Distressed?
Size of investments?
username3612318
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

About me:

Could you dumb down the problem of high dry powder right now for us & how that is impacting managers like yourself? When and how do you see this cooling down? Are your investors putting pressure on you & your team to invest soon?

Do you work more on the origination side?

In terms of PE interviews, what is the most important thing you expect from candidates? Is it how effectively they can analyse an IM?

What do you see yourself doing post PE?
Ban Enquiry
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Are you involved in leveraged buyouts?

Is your job mainly to buyout companies, improve their performance and go through IPO again?

Or is your Private Equity job more focused on venture and growth capital?
gr8wizard10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
was it worth it?
username3011076
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

About me:

Do you have any advice for students starting uni (target, LSE/Oxbridge), specifically regarding networking and generally increasing one's chances of breaking in?
honestly
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

About me:

stock pick tips ?
username738914
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by honestly)
stock pick tips ?
PE =/= equity research or asset management

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (140)
43.61%
Not yet, but I will soon (55)
17.13%
No (126)
39.25%

Watched Threads