The Student Room Group

Can’t do History A-Level

I’ve always been an academic person, and I’ve always been arrogant in the fact I’ll be able to go to university. Don’t know how to revise missed Year Nine and Year Ten due to personal circumstances I still get distracted with today. I spent most of Year Eleven in a PRU where they didn’t teach you much and I didn’t revise anything. They expected us all to fail. Not sure why I didn’t.

C in Drama
7 in Lan
6 in Lit
4 in Maths
A* in ECDL

Was very disappointed and angry by my results but I could move onto A-Level so I did. Happily picked Sociology and Gov&Pol. Didn’t know what to do for third option but someone said Psychology was similar to Sociology so I chose that.

Psychology was alright in the September but then my teacher went on paternity leave and we got a teacher that just confused me so I dropped the subject in October.

School made me pick History in November/Decemberish. Ngl, I am useless at History and I keep getting U’s in it. Don’t understand the content at all.

I do Democracy and Nazism and Industrialising Britain. Love Queen V and spewed off a 7,000 word essay on her for my EPQ that I did back in October so thought I’d find it easy. I don’t. Britain is about three times more bearable than Weimar Republic but I still get U’s. Feel quite depressed about it and circumstances that happened before that still affect my life today. Quite a negative person an easily feel down. Feel like I have no purpose anymore, as I’ll never be a practical person and I am useless at History. How can I get to Uni if I can’t even do an A-Level? I have a tutor but I feel like I don’t learn anything at all. Really do trybto revise but I have a terrible memory and teachers aren’t too much help just treat me like I’m made of glass.

Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by jepolang
I’ve always been an academic person, and I’ve always been arrogant in the fact I’ll be able to go to university. Don’t know how to revise missed Year Nine and Year Ten due to personal circumstances I still get distracted with today. I spent most of Year Eleven in a PRU where they didn’t teach you much and I didn’t revise anything. They expected us all to fail. Not sure why I didn’t.

C in Drama
7 in Lan
6 in Lit
4 in Maths
A* in ECDL

Was very disappointed and angry by my results but I could move onto A-Level so I did. Happily picked Sociology and Gov&Pol. Didn’t know what to do for third option but someone said Psychology was similar to Sociology so I chose that.

Psychology was alright in the September but then my teacher went on paternity leave and we got a teacher that just confused me so I dropped the subject in October.

School made me pick History in November/Decemberish. Ngl, I am useless at History and I keep getting U’s in it. Don’t understand the content at all.

I do Democracy and Nazism and Industrialising Britain. Love Queen V and spewed off a 7,000 word essay on her for my EPQ that I did back in October so thought I’d find it easy. I don’t. Britain is about three times more bearable than Weimar Republic but I still get U’s. Feel quite depressed about it and circumstances that happened before that still affect my life today. Quite a negative person an easily feel down. Feel like I have no purpose anymore, as I’ll never be a practical person and I am useless at History. How can I get to Uni if I can’t even do an A-Level? I have a tutor but I feel like I don’t learn anything at all. Really do trybto revise but I have a terrible memory and teachers aren’t too much help just treat me like I’m made of glass.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not really understanding why you be rubbish at History. the idea is quite simple and so should getting a basic grade.

1. You will be studying certain stories/ events and you need to understand what happened and why. Think of it as a soap opera with characters and events, who did what to whom , when and why.

2. You then get asked a question. You simply need to know how to answer the question. You do that by understanding the question you ate being asked and thinking about what an answer would need to consist of. thats when you do an essay plan.

You support it an base it around the facts and events in 1, but you make sure you analyse and select the relevant issues for your essay.

You then evaluate your findings and reach a conclusion. that is your essay.

its just reading and practice. do everything better and you get a higher grade.

Still possible for you to turn it round if you use the summer to catch up.

The only other different aspect is a source question and that just involves you looking at what youve been given and weighing up its value as a piece of evidence. Bit like you were a detective and someone presented you with a big clue.

Weimar is great and very trendy to study these days.
A subject of the recent TV series Babylon Berlin. which is a very good period detective noir.

You are going to have to make peace with rather than fight it, then you can do well.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Not really understanding why you be rubbish at History. the idea is quite simple and so should getting a basic grade.

1. You will be studying certain stories/ events and you need to understand what happened and why. Think of it as a soap opera with characters and events, who did what to whom , when and why.

2. You then get asked a question. You simply need to know how to answer the question. You do that by understanding the question you ate being asked and thinking about what an answer would need to consist of. thats when you do an essay plan.

You support it an base it around the facts and events in 1, but you make sure you analyse and select the relevant issues for your essay.

You then evaluate your findings and reach a conclusion. that is your essay.

its just reading and practice. do everything better and you get a higher grade.

Still possible for you to turn it round if you use the summer to catch up.

The only other different aspect is a source question and that just involves you looking at what youve been given and weighing up its value as a piece of evidence. Bit like you were a detective and someone presented you with a big clue.

Weimar is great and very trendy to study these days.
A subject of the recent TV series Babylon Berlin. which is a very good period detective noir.

You are going to have to make peace with rather than fight it, then you can do well.

Not sure either. TBH, I think it’s mostly a matter of interest and also they always bang on about key skills you were supposed to learn in GCSE History (which I didn’t do) but I’m pretty good with the monarchy and analysing them and the little historiography but when it comes to stuff like this I just find myself abhorring it.

Will take your advice. Thank you very much
Btw you only get a U if you havent understood the train of events and you havent answered the question. So there are pmety of easy marks for you to get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending