Please help with this nervous system question

Watch this thread
abayatpoor
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Explain how the structure of the motor neuron relates to its function. [6 Marks]

I have no idea ! The motor neuron has no specific adaptation

Any help please
Shibu the Doge
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
GCSE?
abayatpoor
Rep:
(Original post by Revision Boiii)
GCSE?
Yep
Shibu the Doge
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by abayatpoor)
Yep
Combined Sciecne synergy aqa?
abayatpoor
Rep:
(Original post by Revision Boiii)
Combined Sciecne synergy aqa?
triple science edexcel
Shibu the Doge
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Oh
Is this to do with the reflex arc and reaction time?
username2888406
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Motor neuron axons are long because it tends to be a long distance to the effector muscles which they stimulate. Motor neuron axons are insulated with a myelin sheath which acts as an electrical insulator increasing the speed at which the impulse travels along the axon, this is especially important in motor neurons as the axon is long. The cell body has numerous dendrites which extend outwards so that they can receive impulses from multiple surrounding neurons and provide a large surface area for neurotransmitters to be diffused across the synapse. They have mitochondria to release energy through aerobic respiration for the cell to use. That's all I can think of.
abayatpoor
Rep:
(Original post by SmilingWombat)
Motor neuron axons are long because it tends to be a long distance to the effector muscles which they stimulate. Motor neuron axons are insulated with a myelin sheath which acts as an electrical insulator increasing the speed at which the impulse travels along the axon, this is especially important in motor neurons as the axon is long. The cell body has numerous dendrites which extend outwards so that they can receive impulses from multiple surrounding neurons and provide a large surface area for neurotransmitters to be diffused across the synapse. They have mitochondria to release energy through aerobic respiration for the cell to use. That's all I can think of.
Thats all you can think off? That's alot more than my answer of "myelin sheath insulates so it increases the speeds" 😂 thank you
username2888406
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Glad it helps
Afz2
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi
:)Esss:)
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by abayatpoor)
Explain how the structure of the motor neuron relates to its function. [6 Marks]

I have no idea ! The motor neuron has no specific adaptation

Any help please
you can talk about myelin sheath insulation (myelination) and node of ranvier speeds up transmission of electrical impulses.
They have a long axon to cover more distance
synapse and how they convert impulses into chemical transmitters allowing them to diffuse across gap
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (10)
35.71%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (9)
32.14%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
7.14%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
3.57%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (2)
7.14%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
10.71%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
3.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed