The Student Room Group

Do i go to bristol?

I’m a Year 12 student (third time around) and I’ve just been accepted into Bristol University to study a foundation year in arts and humanities before going onto a degree (most likely classics). I applied this year because I was unhappy with my sixth form situation and being so much older than my classmates. Bristol was one of many options for me and I didn’t really think I would be offered a place, but now it is real and I have to make a choice.

I'm really unsure for a few reasons. Firstly, I'm a carer, have been since I was a child. I'm worried about how my dad will cope with me being 100+ miles away most of the year, especially now his memory is starting to go and he needs more help than ever. Secondly, I’ve always been a very closed off person, and making friends is hard for me. I had a bad experience staying in my ex’s university accommodation (also in a Bristol location) and I'm not a fan of loud parties, drunk people or drugs, all 3 of which I know are pretty prevalent at Bristol accommodation. Thirdly, and to me the most concerning, I have mental health issues and I'm scared I just won’t cope. I've struggled with motivation and study skills for the last few years and I don’t want to waste a lecturers time, or any kind of money if I'm just not going to get it…

BUT I really do want a university experience and I just don’t feel like staying and completing my alevels with a bunch of kids… I'm so stuck and I have to make a decision pretty soon… HELP
Reply 1
Original post by classicalchloe99
I’m a Year 12 student (third time around) and I’ve just been accepted into Bristol University to study a foundation year in arts and humanities before going onto a degree (most likely classics). I applied this year because I was unhappy with my sixth form situation and being so much older than my classmates. Bristol was one of many options for me and I didn’t really think I would be offered a place, but now it is real and I have to make a choice.

I'm really unsure for a few reasons. Firstly, I'm a carer, have been since I was a child. I'm worried about how my dad will cope with me being 100+ miles away most of the year, especially now his memory is starting to go and he needs more help than ever. Secondly, I’ve always been a very closed off person, and making friends is hard for me. I had a bad experience staying in my ex’s university accommodation (also in a Bristol location) and I'm not a fan of loud parties, drunk people or drugs, all 3 of which I know are pretty prevalent at Bristol accommodation. Thirdly, and to me the most concerning, I have mental health issues and I'm scared I just won’t cope. I've struggled with motivation and study skills for the last few years and I don’t want to waste a lecturers time, or any kind of money if I'm just not going to get it…

BUT I really do want a university experience and I just don’t feel like staying and completing my alevels with a bunch of kids… I'm so stuck and I have to make a decision pretty soon… HELP

Sorry to hear about your circumstances.

Do you also have offers from more local universities? To be honest it sounds like one of them would be more suitable at least for your foundation year so you can get used to the idea of university life a little closer to home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Sorry to hear about your circumstances.

Do you also have offers from more local universities? To be honest it sounds like one of them would be more suitable at least for your foundation year so you can get used to the idea of university life a little closer to home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, only bristol offers this course without Alevels. Its very close to my hometown but im just worried about a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest