VB1365 - The Cellular Communication Infrastructure Bill 2018

Watch
Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many as are of that opinion, Aye (21)
42.86%
On the contrary, No (25)
51.02%
Abstain (3)
6.12%
This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1365 - The Cellular Communication Infrastructure Bill 2018, TSR Labour Party

The Cellular Communication Infrastructure Bill 2018

An Act to invest in and nationalise the United Kingdom's’ communication infrastructure

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1) For the purposes of this Act:
(a) Communications Infrastructure: Relates to infrastructure used for cellular communication i.e. the provision of mobile broadband and mobile telecommunications.
(b) Core Network Operators: The current infrastructure owners of Cellular Communication: EE (BT plc), o2 (Telefónica UK Limited), Three (CK Hutchison Holdings) and Vodafone (Vodafone Group plc)
(c) Core Infrastructure Groupings: The groupings between the Core Network Operators that jointly manage infrastructure, at present: O2 and Vodafone (through Cornerstone Telecommunications Infrastructure Limited [CTIL]), in addition to EE and Three (through Mobile Broadband Network Limited [MBNL]).
(d) Existing Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs): Current tenants of the infrastructure provided through MBNL and CTI.
(e) Network Operators: Both Core Network Operators and MVNOs OFCOM - the Office of Communications: The UK’s Telecommunications Regulator

2. Infrastructure Nationalisation
(a) The UK Government shall compulsory purchase MBNL and CTIL by the end of Tax Year 2018/2019.
(b) These shall be completed at the asset value + 10% for the companies.
(b) (b) i) In the instance of MBNL, this shall be £397 million.
(b) (b) ii) In the instance of CTIL, this shall be £1.5 billion.

3. Future Operation
(a) A government directly owned company shall be set-up to merge the assets of both of these companies and maintain them while providing at least the same standard of capacity and coverage of the 2G Networks, 3G Networks (until 2025 upon which they shall be switched off) and the 4G Networks.
(b) This company will lease space to both existing core network operators and existing mobile virtual network operators.
(c) The new company will set basic rates for the use of Phone Calls, Texts and MBs of data as per Schedule 1.
(b) (b) i) Schedule 1 may be amended by the relevant Secretary of State at anytime.
(b) (b) ii) Existing Core Network Operators and Existing Mobile Virtual Networks will receive additional discounts of 10% of cost until 2025.
(b) (b) iii) This shall not apply to new MVNOs not set-up prior to the implementation of this act.

4. Infrastructure Upgrades
(a) The Government through the new directly owned company shall invest to ensure that the existing 4G network reaches at least 99% of the UK Population.
(b) The government shall seek to invest via the new directly owned company on a 5G network as soon as a reasonable commercial standard is decided upon.
(c) This infrastructure must cover all major UK Towns and Cities (population >60,000) 2 years after the launch of the network.
(c) This is estimated at present to cost around £50 billion.
(d) The rates for usage of this network must be set at a commercially acceptable level, that will ensure a 100% return of investment for the company.

5. Rural Broadband Approaches
(a) The Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) shall be retasked to ensure that rural internet coverage is directed through high-speed cellular options.
(b) Local Residents can petition BDUK and the new infrastructure company to ensure that access to +10mb/s cellular internet coverage is extended to rural areas not currently covered by superfast broadband.

6. Short Title, Commencement and Extent
(a) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(b) This Act may be cited as the Cellular Communication Infrastructure Bill, 2018
(c) The Act will come into force upon Royal Assent.

Appendix 1: Tarrifs Schedule
The Secretary of State shall set the base rates at which the new government backed company may charge networks.
Upon Royal Assent, these shall be no more than:
  • 0.3p per minute of phone calls.
  • 0.4p per text sent
  • 0.57p per megabyte of data

These amounts shall be decreased should they be purchased at bulk. These amounts are commercially sensitive and will be negotiated privately between the SoS, the Infrastructure company and the phone networks.

Notes
We are in a ridiculous situation in the United Kingdom, where mobile networks are run in effect through 2 infrastructure bodies (that cover 4 main networks and countless Virtual Network Operators) that often have doubled infrastructure at double the cost without actually making an profit. This results in increased costs for the consumer, and a worse, fragmented service for us all.

A 2017 survey of 1400 businesses found that 70% of owners businesses were hampered by mobile notspots that prevented their ability to perform basic functions and make UK business less competitive than needs be. (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a7729726.html) Combined with individual users suffering from being able to use a phone network at home, but not at work and vice-versa, and it is clear that our existing mobile telecommunications infrastructure is struggling to truly cope with what we require in 21st century Britain.

The Cellular Communications Bill 2018 proposes a semi-nationalisation of the infrastructure focused cellular telecommunications businesses: Cornerstone Telecommunications Infrastructure Limited, and Mobile Broadband Network Limited. This will be done by paying for the value of the infrastructure currently in place, along with an amount to cover above and beyond any profits these companies make. Please note that neither company is regarded as profit making, and as a result a buyout that includes an additional 10% of value is likely to be accepted. This will be made compulsory should it be rejected under the terms of the Bill.

This then makes a government owned, directly owned company responsible for running the United Kingdom's Cellular telecommunications infrastructure, while leasing capacity out to any commercially owned mobile network who wishes to provide services and coverage in the United Kingdom. Such a structure is similar to the successful running of Network Rail: a government directly owned company that manages the railway infrastructure and leases railway usage to private operators under a franchising system.

Such a move will also enable the United Kingdom to finally provide super-fast broadband to all via the Cellular networks in rural areas. At present, the majority of networks offer mobile broadband packages for homes, albeit in a manner that is not advertised well and has poor uptake. By scrapping the rural fixed-line broadband approach and instead moving to cellular provision, the goals of super-fast broadband for the majority of the United Kingdom shall be finally met.

Assets of MBNL as of 2016 are valued at £361 million - see: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...filing-history
Assets of CTIL as of 2016 are valued at £1.3 billion - see: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...filing-history

Changes made for second reading
– The commitment to 5G expansion has been amended to focus more on 4G for the time being, with 5G in major towns and cities once a commercially viable standard has been obtained.
– A fuller notes section has been added.

Posted By SpeakerBot
Report an issue | Suggest a feature
username257785
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, great labour bill.
Dafios9128
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is perhaps the worst bill I've seen in here.
username280380
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gladstone1885)
This is perhaps the worst bill I've seen in here.
I look forward to your amazing legislation. This is not the worst bill to have come here by far.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
DayneD89 Can you change my vote from Abstain to Nay please because of Section 4, Part C? Thanks.
The PoliticalGuy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
DayneD89 Can you please change my vote from abstain to nay?
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
DayneD89, I'd also like my vote changed to a Nay.
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would urge everyone who is abstaining to consider voting no on this backdoor nationalization attempt by Labour. If we want more efficient broadband networks, we can start by repealing local planning codes which serve to make investment via the private sector difficult and unprofitable.
PetrosAC
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
DayneD89

Please change my vote from Aye to Abstain.

Whilst I support the premise behind this policy, I believe it is poorly implemented and I hope it can be implemented better.
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Just as a note for when this closes, my bot doesn't have a way of counting vote changes yet. When this closes I will try a few ideas for how this should be implemented, so please be aware that if you are viewing this thread shortly after it closes any information posted by the bot may not be correct as it may not be the final version.
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm sorry this is so last minute but can I please change my abstention to a 'Nay'?
DayneD89
Rep:
?
The noes have it, The noes it!

Unlock!

Ayes
Noes

Spoiler:
Show

Independent

JMR2018 - Aye

TSR Conservative & Unionist Party

Tanqueray91 - Nay
CoffeeGeek - Nay
Andrew97 - Nay
ns_2 - Nay
ThatsAGoodOne349 - None
Life_peer - Nay
CoffeeAndPolitics - Nay
meenu89 - Nay
TeeEff - Nay
MiriamButcher - Nay
Rakas21 - Nay
EagleKingdom - Nay

TSR Labour Party

aidenj - Aye
cranbrook_aspie - Aye
Dafios9128 - Aye
Afcwimbledon2 - Aye
JellyMilk - Aye
LPK - Aye
Mountains8721 - Aye
The Legal Eagle - Aye
Saracen's Fez - Aye
Trevism - Aye
TheDefiniteArticle - Aye
Zxyn - Aye
viljo - Aye
The PoliticalGuy - Nay
JoeL1994 - Aye
RedLuxemburg - Aye
Aph - Aye

TSR Liberal Party

PetrosAC - Abstain
TCFactor - Nay
Conceited - Nay
Lumos_ - Aye
LifeIsFine - Aye
04MR17 - Abstain
Jarred - Aye
Exams421 - Aye

TSR Libertarian Party

CatusStarbright - Nay
Saunders16 - Nay
CountBrandenburg - Nay
robc2 - Nay
LibertarianMP - Nay
Thrillanthropist - Nay
Gladstone1885 - Nay
SuperHuman98 - Nay
Connor27 - Nay

TSR National Conservative Party

mr T 999 - Nay
Unown Uzer - Nay

X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (192)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (663)
49.33%

Watched Threads