Got an A star GCSE English Language Mocks

Watch
qwertyK
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there,

Did Paper 2 last week and got 59/80... in January I did Paper 1 and got 58/80. Teacher saying I got an A star in P2, assuming same for P1 equalling total A star? Anyway, does an A star (8) really mean anything? Like if I fail a GCSE or don't do well in it will a sixth form/college be more likely to accept me becauise of an A star? Doing it in June so not like much will change.

Thanks
Sulayy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Give me an advice on how u approached the question pls, by the way did you do descriptive or narrative in section b because I have a 6
qwertyK
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In Paper 2 we had to write a newspaper article. In paper 1 I wrote a story. The best thing to do is make links between language. The word 'blasting' came up in my text. You get a mark if you say it is a verb. You need to give the connotations of it, ie, something destructive or powerful. TBH I didn't do much revision for it as its something I've always been good at. Have you done a mock? Y10. Or y11?
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly, colleges and sixth forms couldn't really care less about what you get for other subjects if they aren't related to what you want to study at A Level. As long as you pass the requirements for the subjects you want to study they'll let you onto the course, but say you want to do Physics at A Level, they won't let you on just because you got an A* in a different subject.
Sulayy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I came in year 11 from the Netherlands, my English was alright like normal dutch people they speak fluent Dutch and English, spend 3 years before in Egypt studying Arabic BTW I had not revised just went to YouTube for 30 mins and got a 6 in language and 4 in literature. Because I didn’t knew that language was more important and LIT DIDN’T get he attention
Sulayy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Literature doesn’t get attention when I applying for a career, which many of the other year 11’s feel kinda let down wasting time on literature because it isn’t important and some doing so well at lit , but after year 11 they need to resist
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, not really. An "A star" (aka A*) doesn't really mean much once you've got into sixth form, and certainly not after you've got into university (if you apply). But you might as well do your best now, as you're not onto A Levels yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (153)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (460)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (349)
11.18%
Lack of purpose or motivation (435)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (147)
4.71%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (188)
6.02%
Loneliness (269)
8.62%
Financial worries (113)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (125)
4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (141)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (170)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (278)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (294)
9.42%

Watched Threads