The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton or Warwick

Hey, I’m need of choosing my firm option for next year and I am deciding between Warwick and Southampton for a psychology degree Both need the same grades from me (AAB) and are both similar in ranking for psychology. Although Warwick is a much better uni and it’s better to have a degree from there I am unsure if I will enjoy it as Coventry doesn’t seem the nicest of places and I’m worried I won’t fit in with the type of people who go there lol which is why I am struggling to decide between Warwick and Southampton. Teachers say Warwick as it is better everyone else says Southampton as they think I’ll have more fun there, which should I choose?
I'm just going to move this thread so it shows in both University of Southampton and University of Warwick forums and give it a bump - hopefully someone should see this and reply :h:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Emmawhittington
Hey, I’m need of choosing my firm option for next year and I am deciding between Warwick and Southampton for a psychology degree Both need the same grades from me (AAB) and are both similar in ranking for psychology. Although Warwick is a much better uni and it’s better to have a degree from there I am unsure if I will enjoy it as Coventry doesn’t seem the nicest of places and I’m worried I won’t fit in with the type of people who go there lol which is why I am struggling to decide between Warwick and Southampton. Teachers say Warwick as it is better everyone else says Southampton as they think I’ll have more fun there, which should I choose?

Depends what you want. I would choose Warwick for the better degree, but talk to people n the course.

https://www.warwicksu.com/societies/Psychology/
https://www.susu.org/groups/psychosoc
Reply 3
Hello Emma, which one did you choose in the end? I am having exactly the same struggle!
Original post by AnluLB
Hello Emma, which one did you choose in the end? I am having exactly the same struggle!

Hi @AnluLB,

Its great to hear you're considering the University of Southampton - I know picking universities can feel really overwhelming. Have you had a chance to visit both universities? Open days are a great way to see both the university and the city you will be living in as well as talking to teaching staff and current students. I think it's key to not underestimate the importance of having a look around the city on open days as it is where you'll be living for the next (at least) 3 years so it's important to like the city.

When I was choosing universities I found it helpful to make a pros and cons list for each university - my undergraduate course was in Education and Psychology at the University of Southampton and some of my pros were how customisable the course was from the first year, I can remember being able to pick my modules really early on which allowed me to tailor my degree more towards my own interests. Every university will have it's strengths and areas you don't like as much but I would definitley recomend visiting for open days! When I visitied the University of Southampton I just had a gut feeling that this was the right place for me and I really liked the look of the course.

I hope that helps - please let me know if you have any more questions about the University of Southampton :smile:

Katie
2nd year MSc Occupational Therapy student and student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending