Turn on thread page Beta

Best school for Veterinary??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I’m just looking for a bit of advice from veterinary students hopefully!!!
    I’m currently doing my A Levels and hoping to apply for veterinary but I don’t know which unis are best/which I want to apply for.
    I’m really attracted to the idea of a rural campus like RVC as well as the fact that it’s supposedly one of the best schools in the world, but I’m worried about missing out on getting to know people on other courses.
    I also really like the look of Liverpool and Bristol!!!
    Any advice would be amazing

I’m just hoping for some honest opinions and reviews please )) Thanks!! xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Rural campus? You know the first two years of the course at RVC are in Camden, central London right?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahpuddy)
    Hi everyone,
    I’m currently doing my A Levels and hoping to apply for veterinary but I don’t know which unis are best/which I want to apply for.
    I’m really attracted to the idea of a rural campus like RVC as well as the fact that it’s supposedly one of the best schools in the world, but I’m worried about missing out on getting to know people on other courses.

Well, I think the universal opinion would be Cambridge?

Although I think RVC lets you practise worldwide, so take what you fancy
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Objectively 'the best' is very hard (read: impossible) to define. What is the 'best' will depend on many factors specific to you.

League tables aren't of much value in my opinion. RVC is consistently ranked third in the entire world and best in Europe for vet med (the top two vet schools being in the USA), however some of the tables for UK-based unis alone put RVC as 7th in the UK. Clearly this makes no sense.

Some food for thought:
    - RVC, Edinburgh and Glasgow are all equally the most accredited vet schools in the UK for global veterinary boards. With degrees from here you can practice in North America, Europe and Australasia.
    - Cambridge force you to sit an additional year between the second and third years of vet school to complete another degree (intercalation). At other vet schools this is an option rather than a requirement and you are able to go to other universities for a year to do this.
    - Consider the facilities of each university, e.g. some have a teaching hospital (Edinburgh, Cambridge, RVC (theirs is the biggest in Europe)...), some require you to find a 'base' practice (Nottingham, Surrey). Both of these systems have advantages/disadvantages. If the uni have a teaching hospital it is of course still possible to complete a lot of your clinical EMS in the same practice.
    - As has been said, the first two years at the RVC are based in Camden, so not ideal if you want to live rurally! Some people do decide to live in Potters Bar for the entirety of the course though, and commute in (takes about 15 minutes on the train PB --> Kings X, RVC subsidise part of your train fare), and many report that they saved money this way. Many unis adopt a similar system of having one urban campus and one rural one (e.g Liverpool, Bristol), however some will require you to be out in the sticks for all five years (Nottingham, Edinburgh). Fine if you like it that way, but potentially a ballache, especially if you don't drive. From personal experience Langford (Bristol) and Easter Bush (Eddy) are particularly long winded/annoying to get to from the city.
    - Some unis have an unofficial particular area of interest. This is completely unofficial and all vet schools will teach you all species so this should not be a significant factor in deciding where you want to go, but I would say RVC and Edinburgh = smalls/exotics, Nottingham = farm, Liverpool = equine, Cambridge = research/industry, Bristol = smallies/farm. But again, this is in no way official and does not mean much at all. Other students may disagree with my 'categories' here.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that is the case at all.

(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Cambridge is not the be all and end all for every degree option; both Vet Med as illustrated by LTC and Architecture otherwise, specifically, are a lot less clear cut than you may think...even in other courses like Natural Sciences it is not necessarily the ideal option depending on the interests of the applicant.

I'd wager Cambridge is the nicest place to live though if you like the course otherwise...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Cambridge is not the be all and end all for every degree option; both Vet Med as illustrated by LTC and Architecture otherwise, specifically, are a lot less clear cut than you may think...even in other courses like Natural Sciences it is not necessarily the ideal option depending on the interests of the applicant.

I'd wager Cambridge is the nicest place to live though if you like the course otherwise...
    The best sex I ever had was with a Cambridge Vet student, so clearly they're told how to control animals

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(Original post by animalmagic)
    I don't think that is the case at all.
    You sure, given the choice, that's not where most people would pick?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm totally sure. Cambridge may well be an amazing university for some subjects but veterinary medicine isn't one of them in my opinion. In the 2019 Complete University Guide rankings it is bottom for student satisfation.

ReputationRep:
    From their website: "applicants who are confident at science and maths, and good at dealing with novel scientific concepts will find Cambridge the easiest veterinary course on which to secure a place." Says a lot IMO, if you have the top grades Cambridge is the least competitive option there is.

They're also very science orientated, most people seek unis with more hands on approach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    From their website: "applicants who are confident at science and maths, and good at dealing with novel scientific concepts will find Cambridge the easiest veterinary course on which to secure a place." Says a lot IMO, if you have the top grades Cambridge is the least competitive option there is.

They're also very science orientated, most people seek unis with more hands on approach.
    They are baiters - the offer rate is still low as hell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalmagic)
    Yes, I'm totally sure. Cambridge may well be an amazing university for some subjects but veterinary medicine isn't one of them in my opinion. In the 2019 Complete University Guide rankings it is bottom for student satisfation.
    Probably not handling an animal for 3 years has something to do with it

Though seriously speaking, the more academically rigorous places always have the lower satisfaction

Imperial, LSE and UCL are in the toilet for SS and Oxbridge in general didn't even submit their's

ReputationRep:
    They are baiters - the offer rate is still low as hell
    No different than at any other vet school. Around 1/3 of applicants get an offer. This combined with the fact they don't really care about work experience and they interview 75% of their applicants really does make Cambridge seem like an "easy" option.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make, regardless of the actual statistics is that no, most students wouldn't pick Cambridge if given the choice.
    Most vet applicants tend to choose schools based on the location and the course structure rather than the reputation of the uni itself.
    This is a "typical" tsr applicant I'm describing here btw, that I've seen over the last 7 years (Damn, I've been here long ;__; ).

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Objectively 'the best' is very hard (read: impossible) to define. What is the 'best' will depend on many factors specific to you.

League tables aren't of much value in my opinion. RVC is consistently ranked third in the entire world and best in Europe for vet med (the top two vet schools being in the USA), however some of the tables for UK-based unis alone put RVC as 7th in the UK. Clearly this makes no sense.

Some food for thought:
    - RVC, Edinburgh and Glasgow are all equally the most accredited vet schools in the UK for global veterinary boards. With degrees from here you can practice in North America, Europe and Australasia.
    - Cambridge force you to sit an additional year between the second and third years of vet school to complete another degree (intercalation). At other vet schools this is an option rather than a requirement and you are able to go to other universities for a year to do this.
    - Consider the facilities of each university, e.g. some have a teaching hospital (Edinburgh, Cambridge, RVC (theirs is the biggest in Europe)...), some require you to find a 'base' practice (Nottingham, Surrey). Both of these systems have advantages/disadvantages. If the uni have a teaching hospital it is of course still possible to complete a lot of your clinical EMS in the same practice.
    - As has been said, the first two years at the RVC are based in Camden, so not ideal if you want to live rurally! Some people do decide to live in Potters Bar for the entirety of the course though, and commute in (takes about 15 minutes on the train PB --> Kings X, RVC subsidise part of your train fare), and many report that they saved money this way. Many unis adopt a similar system of having one urban campus and one rural one (e.g Liverpool, Bristol), however some will require you to be out in the sticks for all five years (Nottingham, Edinburgh). Fine if you like it that way, but potentially a ballache, especially if you don't drive. From personal experience Langford (Bristol) and Easter Bush (Eddy) are particularly long winded/annoying to get to from the city.
    - Some unis have an unofficial particular area of interest. This is completely unofficial and all vet schools will teach you all species so this should not be a significant factor in deciding where you want to go, but I would say RVC and Edinburgh = smalls/exotics, Nottingham = farm, Liverpool = equine, Cambridge = research/industry, Bristol = smallies/farm. But again, this is in no way official and does not mean much at all. Other students may disagree with my 'categories' here.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH, it’s really reassuring to know that what separate the schools is personal preference rather than academic success. Hopefully one will stand out at an open day to help me decide!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    No different than at any other vet school. Around 1/3 of applicants get an offer. This combined with the fact they don't really care about work experience and they interview 75% of their applicants really does make Cambridge seem like an "easy" option.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make, regardless of the actual statistics is that no, most students wouldn't pick Cambridge if given the choice.
    Most vet applicants tend to choose schools based on the location and the course structure rather than the reputation of the uni itself.
    This is a "typical" tsr applicant I'm describing here btw, that I've seen over the last 7 years (Damn, I've been here long ;__; ).
    Cambridge interviews most peope for nearly every course. Post-offer interview rate is low. Getting A*AA and a high NSAA score is more demanding than vet work experience with AAB grades.

I think it's well established in real life and on here that someone usually picks Cambridge even if they think another university would be better for them.

There was a girl in the year above who had the same choice and picked Cambridge just because it's Cambridge and because of teacher and parental pressure

Nice dp btw - she died in my first attempt

ReputationRep:
    Getting A*AA and a high NSAA score is more demanding than vet work experience with AAB grades.
    imo it's easier to stay home and revise than spend weeks out doing what's basically unpaid manual labour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redonks)
    imo it's easier to stay home and revise than spend weeks out doing what's basically unpaid manual labour
    Weeks of revision vs weeks of labour?

I mean it's fun labour - it's not like you're carrying horse **** back and forth in a barn all day

ReputationRep:
    Weeks of revision vs weeks of labour?

I mean it's fun labour - it's not like you're carrying horse **** back and forth in a barn all day
    from my experience anyway (predicted 3 A*s, 10ish weeks of work experience) it was harder to organise placements, wake up early, spend like 10 hours on your feet paying attention and learning, than to just sit down and work on A levels/entrance exams

and yeah it was really fun, but at the same time most people who want to be vets are interested in science so that's not all bad either
    there's boring/hard bits of revision just like there is carrying horse **** around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redonks)
    from my experience anyway (predicted 3 A*s, 10ish weeks of work experience) it was harder to organise placements, wake up early, spend like 10 hours on your feet paying attention and learning, than to just sit down and work on A levels/entrance exams

and yeah it was really fun, but at the same time most people who want to be vets are interested in science so that's not all bad either
    there's boring/hard bits of revision just like there is carrying horse **** around
    Hmm, one of my friends just went to a dog shelter and played with dogs all day haha

Guess it depends on what you decide your work experience to be - also seems like a lot of people who get in have vet parents too

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, one of my friends just went to a dog shelter and played with dogs all day haha

Guess it depends on what you decide your work experience to be - also seems like a lot of people who get in have vet parents too
    that's the dream

and yeah that's true, I go to a good school so I have all the academic help I need but didn't have any friends/family/contacts who knew anything about being a vet so that was all independent, it'll be different for other people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahpuddy)
    Hi everyone,

Come to Liverpool! Liverpool FTW

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.