Why Law Interview Question - ADVICE!!!

Watch
JamesyB98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi Everyone,

I have a vacation scheme at Akin Gump but tommorow I have an interview at a fairly small law firm for which I applied for a few weeks work experience.

Now the interview is said to be "informal" and they have even told me to wear a relaxed outfit (they know I am travelling from uni so the partner said not to bother with a full suit etc).

Now the question will be why I want to become a lawyer, I have never thought about this from such a theoretical perspective (mainly because I have never been asked) but main reason for wanting to do law was because it is a lucrative career in the city which pays well - of course this firm is not in the city and this reason is not going to go down well with ANY firm.

So for anyone who has had this question - HOW do you answer it? What do I include in the answer?

Also what am I going to ask the partner tomorrow if he allows me to ask questions? I dont have any
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JamesyB98)
Now the question will be why I want to become a lawyer, I have never thought about this from such a theoretical perspective (mainly because I have never been asked) but main reason for wanting to do law was because it is a lucrative career in the city which pays well - of course this firm is not in the city and this reason is not going to go down well with ANY firm.
Why not?

"Honestly I was first drawn to being a lawyer because I saw it as a lucrative career that pays well. After doing more research/gaining more experience/speaking with lawyers/working in <job> I became particularly drawn to <area of law> because <reason>, and that's when I started viewing it as a job that would actually interest me day to day, and something that I could excel at."

Obviously there are many different variations to that, but hopefully it demonstrates that you don't need to come up with some sort of magical fictitious answer to that question. Contrary to popular belief, that question isn't there because there is a right answer or to test your dedication. It's there just to find out about you and what motivates you. If that was initially or still is money you certainly will want to go beyond that, but there's no reason not to be honest about it.
Also what am I going to ask the partner tomorrow if he allows me to ask questions? I dont have any
Sure you do. He's a senior practitioner doing a job that you want to do. He not only knows so much more about the job than you, but he does it in practice every day. Ask him about those practicalities. Ask him how he manages a particular difficult situation that might crop up. Ask him what he thinks the most satisfying part of the job is. Ask him what the worst parts of the job are. Ask him a thousand and one other things that will help you to gain an insight into your intended career.

Now actually you don't need to ask anything in a formal interview situation. Contrary to popular belief, it's not something that you gain marks for. I am assuming here that this 'informal' interview really does come down to something of a chat between the two of you. In which case you can quite easily ask questions such as the above by just slotting them in to the conversation, if appropriate. But really, don't feel that you need questions prepared in advance. If it is on the more informal side of things, just go with the flow and ask something appropriate to the conversation. Or if you genuinely don't have any questions to ask, that's fine too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (297)
43.48%

Watched Threads