The Student Room Group

How to get used to working 9-5?

I just started my first graduate role, and definitely need some tips on dealing with working 9-5.

I feel like going Uni was definitely a step back in terms of getting used to the real world. My course had no compulsory attendance, so I only went to the first lecture of every term. The remaining time was for me to go out, binge watch TV, play games and sleep (until like 1 month before the exam of course). I had no schedule and was free to do as I pleased.

I am finding it hard to get used to the transition. I am now all of a sudden in a situation where I wake up every day tired and dreading to work, by midday I start losing focus and at 4 p.m. I feel like I just mentally ran a marathon. By the time I get home, I am already too mentally and physically exhausted to deal with chores, cooking and personal finances.

Compared to my peers, I am definitely a lazy person. I like putting in the minimal amount of effort, and hate going "above and beyond". That is why, perhaps I find it difficult dealing with working 9-5 for the foreseeable future.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to being an adult.. seriously you just need to eat better and go to sleep earlier and maybe work out a little bit.. just learn to balance ur life no more slacking off.
Original post by Anonymous
I just started my first graduate role, and definitely need some tips on dealing with working 9-5.

I feel like going Uni was definitely a step back in terms of getting used to the real world. My course had no compulsory attendance, so I only went to the first lecture of every term. The remaining time was for me to go out, binge watch TV, play games and sleep (until like 1 month before the exam of course). I had no schedule and was free to do as I pleased.

I am finding it hard to get used to the transition. I am now all of a sudden in a situation where I wake up every day tired and dreading to work, by midday I start losing focus and at 4 p.m. I feel like I just mentally ran a marathon. By the time I get home, I am already too mentally and physically exhausted to deal with chores, cooking and personal finances.

Compared to my peers, I am definitely a lazy person. I like putting in the minimal amount of effort, and hate going "above and beyond". That is why, perhaps I find it difficult dealing with working 9-5 for the foreseeable future.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

School is about 7hrs 8:00-15:00
Just add an hour of that. How did you manage going to school everyday?
You could also ask for flexible hours or a work from home thing(depending on the work you do) but that is probably best when you have been working there a while and have built some sort of rapport with the boss.
You just need to keep going. You'll get used to it. Make sure you eat well, sleep early and do some exercise as those things will improve your energy level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending