The Student Room Group

I hate being rich

Ok, it's 1am and I am going to vent a bit.
I don't like being rich, or should I rephrase that I don't feel like I fit in, coming from a well off family. Of course I am very fortunate and greatful that my folks have done so well for themselves. But it makes me uncomfortable when people are talking about student finance then ask me and I'm just like haha yeah, I don't. Or when people are talking about how much debt they'll be in after uni, I just try to avoid discussions like that. My best friend can barely afford food every day. I don't brag about being rich, in fact I often act like I barely have any money simply because I hate spending on material goods.
I guess my point is sometimes I feel like I can't relate to my friends' struggles because I do not experience a lot of the same things.
Not sure if anyone else has this similar experience but I was just wondering what you guys think of maybe people either richer or poorer than yourself.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in the same position with regard to student finance. Every time my friends talk about it I just sort of awkwardly keep quiet
Well okay I see your point but nonetheless it is still better to be wealthy and unable to fit in, than actually poor and still unable to fit in, as many people are.
Lend me a tenner 😉😂
Reply 4
send some my way then, you poor poor soul.
CANNNN I PLEASSSSEEEEEEE have this type of problem like i acc beg :frown:
Reply 6
and sorry but all jokes aside I just have to say that this is a terrible post. you hate being rich because you don't fit in because you have too much money to understand your friends struggling to get by on student finance or the worries they have about future debt?

not sure what reaction you are looking for? sympathy? i do have sympathy but it's for your friend who can't afford food.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Well I must apologize for my use of the word hate. I definitely don't take it for granted at all, but I just wanted to shed some light on my experience and hoped to gain some insight through these responses.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Well I must apologize for my use of the word hate. I definitely don't take it for granted at all, but I just wanted to shed some light on my experience and hoped to gain some insight through these responses.

I really think you would benefit from volunteering at a food bank or homeless canteen. Not joking.
Reply 9
Original post by Moura
and sorry but all jokes aside I just have to say that this is a terrible post. you hate being rich because you don't fit in because you have too much money to understand your friends struggling to get by on student finance or the worries they have about future debt?

not sure what reaction you are looking for? sympathy? i do have sympathy but it's for your friend who can't afford food.

I am not looking for sympathy at all, but I was hoping to gain some insight from people's opinions on this who may have never thought about this topic from my pov. Maybe I phrased this badly, and I apologize for any miscommunication, I certainly did not want to come off as ungrateful or anything.
Everyone has different struggles. Nothing to be ashamed of. You can afford it and the money is earned thro ugh non-illegal means. You don't have to say anything and comfort them that they won't have to pay the debt back if they earn below 25k and after 30 yeara it's wiped lol.
I don't like being rich, or should I rephrase that I don't feel like I fit in, coming from a well off family. Of course I am very fortunate and greatful that my folks have done so well for themselves. But it makes me uncomfortable when people are talking about student finance then ask me and I'm just like haha yeah, I don't. Or when people are talking about how much debt they'll be in after uni, I just try to avoid discussions like that. My best friend can barely afford food every day. I don't brag about being rich, in fact I often act like I barely have any money simply because I hate spending on material goods.
I guess my point is sometimes I feel like I can't relate to my friends' struggles because I do not experience a lot of the same things.
Not sure if anyone else has this similar experience but I was just wondering what you guys think of maybe people either richer or poorer than yourself.

You can't relate so don't attempt to. Unless you and your family become dirt poor tomorrow you will never know their struggles.

I am not sure what sort of answer you are expecting, perhaps speak with other rich people similar to your age and ask them, you are only going to stir the pot around here since most of us are poor.

Honestly you should go and volunteer or donate the money to student finance to help some students pay theirs even if it don’t go to ur friends ur still helping other people .. or u can say u want it to go to them idk how it works... but u should let hate being rich because u don’t fit in... if u friend can’t even pay for food u get her food be a good friend cus you got the money to do that... u don’t have to spend it on materialistic things.. be greatful .. cus i deff wish I was you right now..
(edited 5 years ago)
so what if you can't relate? we all can't relate to our friends in one way or the other, it shouldn't make you hate this privilege that you have.

trust me, you'd hate it sooooo much more if you were poor
Original post by hypofato
You can't relate so don't attempt to. Unless you and your family become dirt poor tomorrow you will never know their struggles.

Well, with all due respect, surely it is better to try to put yourself into others' shoes rather than disregard their struggles completely.
Well, with all due respect, surely it is better to try to put yourself into others' shoes rather than disregard their struggles completely.

I'm not saying disregard their struggles, what I'm saying is you will not be able to understand it, all you can do is be supportive.
****ing hell, ****, knob head. Give the money to me.
privilege goals😍
(edited 5 years ago)
And then there is me who try to show I'm rich when I'm not .. really we all want to avoid talking student finance but we got nothing else to talk about . We won't dislike you if you are one who don't have problem but we may tease you .... lend me some money anyways though
Reply 19

Sounds like you have affluenza lol. Help your friends where you can, it will help you feel better.

Latest