The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey I have this problem too . Don’t worry you are not the only one . To start of , okay I have to admit that my family is consider rich or like wealthy or maybe in a better way you can say not in need of money . But we are certainly not like those billionaire people . And ever since young , yea I do feel a bit awkward whenever my friends talks about money or when they are comparing what food to buy so that is cheaper or like working mad hard in school just to get a Scholarship so that they don’t have to pay . Although I can’t relate what is like but I do help them if they are really in need . And even up till now , all of us are still friends . They don’t hate me and I don’t judge them based on money .
To be honest , all those money belong to my parents . They work really hard to earn all those money .
I feel that perhaps you just try not to talk about how rich you are etc. It’s hard ... I mean sometime it just natural and you will some how say it to your friends .
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, it's 1am and I am going to vent a bit.
I don't like being rich, or should I rephrase that I don't feel like I fit in, coming from a well off family. Of course I am very fortunate and greatful that my folks have done so well for themselves. But it makes me uncomfortable when people are talking about student finance then ask me and I'm just like haha yeah, I don't. Or when people are talking about how much debt they'll be in after uni, I just try to avoid discussions like that. My best friend can barely afford food every day. I don't brag about being rich, in fact I often act like I barely have any money simply because I hate spending on material goods.
I guess my point is sometimes I feel like I can't relate to my friends' struggles because I do not experience a lot of the same things.
Not sure if anyone else has this similar experience but I was just wondering what you guys think of maybe people either richer or poorer than yourself.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5329496
Help her
Ok - So my family are well off, and I mean well off. They have paid for my uni fees and living etc as I was not entitled to any grants. I still live the uni life, love a bargain- I shop in the whoopsie section of Asda to try and bag a bargain!

There is NO reason as to why I couldnt fit in, the fact that you feel this is an issue shows that you are making yourself self-entitled and important. Forget that you have money, join in with the thrifty nature of uni and the bargain basics- I promise you will have a better time than prancing around thinking you are something special.

Stay humble, always
Reply 23
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, it's 1am and I am going to vent a bit.
I don't like being rich, or should I rephrase that I don't feel like I fit in, coming from a well off family. Of course I am very fortunate and greatful that my folks have done so well for themselves. But it makes me uncomfortable when people are talking about student finance then ask me and I'm just like haha yeah, I don't. Or when people are talking about how much debt they'll be in after uni, I just try to avoid discussions like that. My best friend can barely afford food every day. I don't brag about being rich, in fact I often act like I barely have any money simply because I hate spending on material goods.
I guess my point is sometimes I feel like I can't relate to my friends' struggles because I do not experience a lot of the same things.
Not sure if anyone else has this similar experience but I was just wondering what you guys think of maybe people either richer or poorer than yourself.

Be grateful you can't relate. I am happy that you're nice enough not to brag though and be some horrible rich kid who loves to show off, nice knowing not all rich people are that way. Just try and be there for your friends in anyway you can, be supportive and talk to them to make sure they're okay.
Original post by SS.AA
Be grateful you can't relate. I am happy that you're nice enough not to brag though and be some horrible rich kid who loves to show off, nice knowing not all rich people are that way. Just try and be there for your friends in anyway you can, be supportive and talk to them to make sure they're okay.

OP probably owns a couple of Yankee Candles and thinks they're rich now lmao

paying tuition fees and living is like paying for boarding fees, so it's not *really* much for the middle class which often are the typical petit bourgeoisie
donate some money to me lmao............
Reply 26
Original post by ohdearstudying
OP probably owns a couple of Yankee Candles and thinks they're rich now lmao

paying tuition fees and living is like paying for boarding fees, so it's not *really* much for the middle class which often are the typical petit bourgeoisie

Yankee candles are expensive lol
Original post by SS.AA
Yankee candles are expensive lol

lmao bit random but reminds me of this girl that went to AllSaints and bought literally the cheapest thing there (in the sale) for like £12 and used the bag as a handbag for like 3 months.

or when used the selfridges bag i left at school and claimed she went shopping there lmao

omg people are SAD
Help your best friend out financially
My goal in life is to have kids that they feel the way you do.
Are you rich personally?

Or is it your parents that are rich and are providing you with money, thus making you rich?
Reply 31
lmao bit random but reminds me of this girl that went to AllSaints and bought literally the cheapest thing there (in the sale) for like £12 and used the bag as a handbag for like 3 months.

or when used the selfridges bag i left at school and claimed she went shopping there lmao

omg people are SAD

People like to make out their lives are better than they are, just look at social media, I bet half of those people aren't as rich as they make out.
I'd gladly switch places, how about you send me a small loan of a million dollars?
Original post by SS.AA
People like to make out their lives are better than they are, just look at social media, I bet half of those people aren't as rich as they make out.

literally.

if i posted pictures of my garden, edited it a bit it honestly would look like i look in some sort of regal outhouse when in actual reality it's just a tiered garden because it's a hill.

like ah, imagine *saying* not just thinking, i wish i wasn't so rich so i could relate to my friends lmaooo njsdjfkdsnjk
Reply 34
literally.

if i posted pictures of my garden, edited it a bit it honestly would look like i look in some sort of regal outhouse when in actual reality it's just a tiered garden because it's a hill.

like ah, imagine *saying* not just thinking, i wish i wasn't so rich so i could relate to my friends lmaooo njsdjfkdsnjk

Then there's us who wish we couldn't relate haha
Rather than trying to relate to others, help us relate to you by giving us money and putting us all on equal footing
Just appreciate what you have and try help out friends who are less fortunate if you can. Even though you find it hard to fit in, its still better than being in their position.
first world problems
Reply 38
I get you man, I'm not mega rich but I do consider myself a lot richer than most. I also get why a lot of people are angry that people like us might feel like this, but it's a problem that you can only ever really understand when you have experienced it for yourself. With me, I feel guilty, when I see people suffering so much, I donate to charity, but it doesn't do much to help that feeling of guilt
Reply 39
I mean, honestly I’d literally just try and help my friends out. In small ways. Not saying pay for their tuition or anything of the sort but if I were in your position and they didn’t have any food, I’d take a quick trip to Aldi or Sainsbury’s and buy them food for a few days. Of course this depends on if they’d be happy or find it offensive but I’m not rich (in fact my mother has very little money herself) but I work three jobs and that gives me a fair amount of disposable income after savings and if I visit my friends at uni and see they’re hard up, I will buy them food. A small £20 shop can go a long way and I’d rather spend that money on them than buy things for myself. My point is, rather than feel *****y for having money when they done, just use what you can to help out if you’re able to

Latest

Trending

Trending