The Student Room Group

UCL or Uni of Bristol for History?

Hi guys, I’m trying to decide between UCL and Bristol for History (both AAA). Originally I thought UCL, but I went back to Bristol so now they’re quite equal.

UCL:
- Better course (class size and contact hours)
- Better location
- Slight edge in terms of reputation
Bristol:
- A lot cheaper/nicer accommodation
- Friendlier and more welcoming
- More personal (London can be lonely)

Both are equally as hard to travel back home. My Dad keeps saying that:
1. The degree matters more than the uni
2. The significance of the uni you went to dwindles further down the line
3. Generally, if you’re comfortable in the place, you’ll exceed more (more likely to be comfortable in Bristol)
Both are really good so what are people’s opinions/experiences? Is that prestigious edge worth the money for UCL? I’m genuinely torn between the two.
Original post by danntheo
Hi guys, I’m trying to decide between UCL and Bristol for History (both AAA). Originally I thought UCL, but I went back to Bristol so now they’re quite equal.

UCL:
- Better course (class size and contact hours)
- Better location
- Slight edge in terms of reputation
Bristol:
- A lot cheaper/nicer accommodation
- Friendlier and more welcoming
- More personal (London can be lonely)

Both are equally as hard to travel back home. My Dad keeps saying that:
1. The degree matters more than the uni
2. The significance of the uni you went to dwindles further down the line
3. Generally, if you’re comfortable in the place, you’ll exceed more (more likely to be comfortable in Bristol)
Both are really good so what are people’s opinions/experiences? Is that prestigious edge worth the money for UCL? I’m genuinely torn between the two.

I tend to agree with your dad. You haven't mentioned how the courses compare at all and that is what will matter the most.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
I tend to agree with your dad. You haven't mentioned how the courses compare at all and that is what will matter the most.

Thanks for the reply. UCL has more choice over the modules and also has smaller class sizes
Thanks for the reply. UCL has more choice over the modules and also has smaller class sizes

Class sizes will vary based on the teaching methods but having more module choices helps to explore your interests :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Class sizes will vary based on the teaching methods but having more module choices helps to explore your interests :smile:

Yeah that’s true. It’s all quite wish-wash
Yeah that’s true. It’s all quite wish-wash

Not sure what that means but it looks like you have your answer. Good luck!
Imo London can be friendly, and personal. Yes, it's a big city with lots of people, but theres still lots of space, there are green parks Hyde Park etc.. Im going UCL and I had the same thoughts but now im just thinking of it as London being the Campus.

In terms of course I wouldn't think about it in terms of class size and contact hours but rather what periods of History are available for you to study
(edited 5 years ago)
Bristol, for an all-round more positive experience. The class size is a red herring. You'll find that quite alot of History first years don't turn up to lectures anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by SuperHuman98
Imo London can be friendly, and personal. Yes, it's a big city with lots of people, but theres still lots of space, there are green parks Hyde Park etc.. Im going UCL and I had the same thoughts but now im just thinking of it as London being the Campus.

In terms of course I wouldn't think about it in terms of class size and contact hours but rather what periods of History are available for you to study

Thanks for the input. So how have you dealt with costs? Obviously it’s a big factor so has it affected you much/is it as bad as people say?
Reply 9
Original post by DrSocSciences
Bristol, for an all-round more positive experience. The class size is a red herring. You'll find that quite alot of History first years don't turn up to lectures anyway.

Yeah it seems a more quirky and characteristic place. I agree with the red herring point too. Thanks
Thanks for the input. So how have you dealt with costs? Obviously it’s a big factor so has it affected you much/is it as bad as people say?

im not a current student just an offer holder

In terms of rent, I have enough maintaince loan to pay rent (if I move out). and will apply for bursaries. I probably will eventually end up applying for part time jobs once I have settled in.
I am a 3rd year Bristol student who has enjoyed his time here. To be fair, though, I am a biochemist and I don’t get out much. It’s possible we might be looking for different things.

Quick Reply

Latest