London or Glasgow for a student?

Watch
Dimitra Tsichla
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys! I received offers from 2 universities one in Glasgow and one in London. The uni is London is slightly better and I loved the course but the tuition fees in Glasgow are free . My question is , what's the better city to live in as a student? I'm planning to get a part time job anyway to cover my accommodation fees in any city I move in , so where is it easier to do that and with well paid salaries? Also I've heard people loving London because it has everything and dislike Glasgow because it's depressing, grey with bad weather and like an industrial area.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dimitra Tsichla)
Hey guys! I received offers from 2 universities one in Glasgow and one in London. The uni is London is slightly better and I loved the course but the tuition fees in Glasgow are free . My question is , what's the better city to live in as a student? I'm planning to get a part time job anyway to cover my accommodation fees in any city I move in , so where is it easier to do that and with well paid salaries? Also I've heard people loving London because it has everything and dislike Glasgow because it's depressing, grey with bad weather and like an industrial area.
Go with the better uni. London is expensive but there are plenty of student-y jobs available. Unfortunately as a student working part time you will not earn a high salary no matter where you are!
Hobo-Joe
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dimitra Tsichla)
It seems like you've already made up your mind

If the Uni in London is better then go for that one. However if I could play devils advocate....

The weather can be bad in Glasgow, especially during the winter, but right now its sunny af and I'm loving it. It's also a lot cheaper to live in Glasgow. One of my mates are renting place in London at about 250 quid a week, and another mate is spending about 100 quid a week in Glasgow (both of them are about 30 mins walk from their respective uni's). Also from my understanding clubs tend to close later in Glasgow than London but I'm not sure how true that actually is

<3
BridgeHouseGlasgow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey Dimitra,

I would definitely choose the course that you prefer as you will be so much happier in the long run if you are doing something you're really passionate about.

However, I do have lots of first hand experience of Glasgow having studied and worked here for 7 years now.

I went to Glasgow University and had an amazing time. As other posters have mentioned, it is a lot cheaper to live here and the quality of life is, I think, very high. It's a great city to be a student in with a really vibrant atmosphere, friendly people, lots of things to see and it's overall much easier to live within your means but still feel like you're really experiencing student life.

Glasgow has industrial bits and areas but the city centre and the West End, where the university campus is really beautiful and leafy with so much character. Everything is really close together too so although it's a big city the bits you will want to go to are all fairly close together. Nothing is really more than 25 mins away on public transport.

Weather wise, I suppose it's not ideal and it is certainly much colder than the South in general but honestly, I can't imagine this being too much of an issue.

I hope this helps.

Lilith
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (93)
64.58%
I don't have everything I need (51)
35.42%

Watched Threads