The Student Room Group

Summer Internship in Banking for a Greek student

Hi everybody, I am in my first year in a Business Administration course in Greece. Greek banks do not accept first year undergraduate students for internship, so I thought that it would be a good idea to look for internships abroad, but I am not really sure if UK-based banks accept students from foreign universities. Does anyone know anything about it?

I have tried to communicate with some banks' HR departments but they only confused me even more :tongue:.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by titanforce
Hi everybody, I am in my first year in a Business Administration course in Greece. Greek banks do not accept first year undergraduate students for internship, so I thought that it would be a good idea to look for internships abroad, but I am not really sure if UK-based banks accept students from foreign universities. Does anyone know anything about it?

I have tried to communicate with some banks' HR departments but they only confused me even more :tongue:.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

In the UK, bank's accept first year undergrads on what is called "Spring week"'. During spring week you take part in a variety of activities and networking and I believe if you show yourself to be highly competent, you will land an internship later on.

I don't think being Greek will prevent you from applying as long as you can get a visa to come here.
Reply 2
Original post by e^iπ
Hi,

In the UK, bank's accept first year undergrads on what is called "Spring week"'. During spring week you take part in a variety of activities and networking and I believe if you show yourself to be highly competent, you will land an internship later on.

I don't think being Greek will prevent you from applying as long as you can get a visa to come here.

Thanks for the answer!

Well, I thought that they accept first year students for summer internship, so thanks for making it clear to me. I just didn't know if they accept people from foreign universities, that's all. Thank you!
Reply 3
Thanks for the answer!

Well, I thought that they accept first year students for summer internship, so thanks for making it clear to me. I just didn't know if they accept people from foreign universities, that's all. Thank you!

Just to clarify, spring weeks are not internships in the traditional sense you don't get paid a salary for doing them if you are accepted (the competition is intense) but most big banks like JP and Goldman Sachs pay your travel costs and hotel costs for you.

Spring weeks serve the purpose of making you stand out when the time comes round for applying for a paid internship scheme.
Reply 4
Original post by e^iπ
Just to clarify, spring weeks are not internships in the traditional sense you don't get paid a salary for doing them if you are accepted (the competition is intense) but most big banks like JP and Goldman Sachs pay your travel costs and hotel costs for you.

Spring weeks serve the purpose of making you stand out when the time comes round for applying for a paid internship scheme.

Thank you for the precious information, it's all clear in my head right now :biggrin:. Are traditional internships for people who have graduated from uni or for undergraduates as well?
Reply 5
Thank you for the precious information, it's all clear in my head right now :biggrin:. Are traditional internships for people who have graduated from uni or for undergraduates as well?

Traditional internships are for people in their second last year of university or their last year of university (undergraduate) These usually last for about 8-10 weeks over the summer and if you do well in them, I believe you can secure a full time job there after you graduate!

Your priority at the moment should be to try and secure a spring week place. Just do some research as there is a treasure trove of information on Google on how to make the best possible CV for the spring weeks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by e^iπ
Traditional internships are for people in their second last year of university or their last year of university (undergraduate) These usually last for about 8-10 weeks over the summer and if you do well in them, I believe you can secure a full time job there after you graduate!

Your priority at the moment should be to try and secure a spring week place. Just do some research as there is a treasure trove of information on Google on how to make the best possible CV for the spring weeks.

Thanks for everything, I will surely do some research on that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending