Turn on thread page Beta

So I've just started my period, today, and have realised that the colour of my period is very dark to the point of being brown. This has happened before a few months ago and I contemplated going to the doctors but it quickly (within a few hours) started to look normal.

Has this happened to anyone else before, is it a sign that I have something wrong with me. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Don't got to a doctor, go to a pharmacist.

did you get your period last month? bc it could be that its old blood maybe??

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's normal. It's just some older blood hence the darker colour.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the 'dead' blood should be darker far as I know

Thank you for all your replies, saved me an embarrassing trip to the GP. Cheers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I've just started my period, today, and have realised that the colour of my period is very dark to the point of being brown. This has happened before a few months ago and I contemplated going to the doctors but it quickly (within a few hours) started to look normal.

Has this happened to anyone else before, is it a sign that I have something wrong with me. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Brown blood is normal - it's just the older stuff. However if your blood is black at the start of your period and this happens every month, then see your GP.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance.
    No nothing is wrong with you from the explanation you've given. It seems to be just old blood from your previous period leaving you body. Then the more bright red blood is the fresh blood from your period. It's hard not to stress but it doesn't seem like anything is wrong. So, try not to worry hun xx
    If your worried, ask your mum or any female adults you can speak to xxxxxx

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Brown blood is normal - it's just the older stuff. However if your blood is black at the start of your period and this happens every month, then see your GP.
    Thanks for the advice, but luckily my blood isn't that dark just a brown/red-ish colour. But I'll keep that in mind just in case.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for the advice, but luckily my blood isn't that dark just a brown/red-ish colour. But I'll keep that in mind just in case.
    No problem, yeah brown blood is just old stuff, nothing to be worried about.

(Original post by MKaur18)
    No nothing is wrong with you from the explanation you've given. It seems to be just old blood from your previous period leaving you body. Then the more bright red blood is the fresh blood from your period. It's hard not to stress but it doesn't seem like anything is wrong. So, try not to worry hun xx
    If your worried, ask your mum or any female adults you can speak to xxxxxx
    I know all your ever taught is to look out for warning signs from the body, so its hard not to stress over every little change to it. I'll definitely try to go to my mum next time over these issues; even if it is a little embarrassing. Thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.