Turn on thread page Beta

Can I ask to repeat first year at uni - undergraduate watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Unlikely to be allowed. Generally you can't resit Uni exams you've passed, just to get a better grade, then simply don't operate like A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, at my university they only allow you to resit the exams you failed. And even so, you are capped at 40% when you retake the year too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keepingcalm)
    Aye, at my university they only allow you to resit the exams you failed. And even so, you are capped at 40% when you retake the year too
    Side note: what does 'capped at 40%' mean? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it's unlikely you will be able to, but you may as well ask. Is the uni aware of your anxiety/depression?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As above, that's not how it works at pretty much any university (at least either of the two I've been to).

Also normally first year doesn't count much if at all towards your final classification. Most universities do not have first year count towards the final degree classification at all and just require you achieve the progression requirements to continue to second year, and a small number (like Warwick) have it count 10% or so towards it. Usually the third year is most heavily weighted, so you certainly can considerably bring up your overall marks in that year. If you do very well in independent work but just struggle with exams, this definitely works to your benefit.

Oxford and Cambridge are exceptions to this, but also to the general process of resitting and retaking years, so I suspect this is not the case for you.

The main problem poorer first year marks can present is in applying for summer placements/internships. But retaking the year is likely to look even worse for applying to such programmes so...again, that's not a solution anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReadySalted28)
    Side note: what does 'capped at 40%' mean? Thanks
    It's when you can repeat an exam/coursework after failing the first time, however, no matter what mark you get (over 40%) you can only pass at 40% which is considered to be 'just about passed'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemunch)
    It's when you can repeat an exam/coursework after failing the first time, however, no matter what mark you get (over 40%) you can only pass at 40% which is considered to be 'just about passed'
    So lets say first year is 10%.
    Only 40% of the 10% will be counted. Am I right?

ReputationRep:
    I struggled with it really badly in my second year of uni. I thought I could power through it like I'd always done before, but I couldn't, and ended up dramatically failing my exams. The uni wouldn't do anything about it because I hadn't made them aware or got any proper medical evidence. So I can't recommend enough telling them as soon as possible (whether or not it has any effect on your current situation)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    1-3% of your total classification isn't going to make the difference in getting a first unless you were already borderline. Not to mention a first is not required by any metric and a 2:1 will suffice for the vast majority of graduate roles you may want to pursue, both in and outside of academia - especially if you have a high 2:1 due to just missing out on a 1st.

You are overanalysing the situation. Accept that things weren't what you hoped, and move forwards with an eye to improve. Spend the summer consolidating your understanding of the first year modules, paying particular attention to the things you struggled with in exams, and thinking about general exam technique you can improve on. You can then fully focus on doing as well as possible moving forward in the course.

I know people who technically failed first year but were just "condoned" and permitted to progress to second year, who ended up getting 1sts (and one who continued to a PhD). Retaking the year, as above, isn't going to change your grades, and is just a waste of your and everyone elses time unless the university determines you fundamentally don't have the knowledge to actually progress into second year and require you retake as a result. Hopefully, that is not going to be the outcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReadySalted28)
    So lets say first year is 10%.
    Only 40% of the 10% will be counted. Am I right?
    hmmm, well for us it's depending on each exam, so when you resit you get 40% in that exam and then result of the exam for the other module will be combined

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother resitting the year. It's only worth 10% so you can easily make this up in your second and third years. You'd only have to average ~2% higher over your next two years with 50% in first year, than if you had 70% in first year to end up with a 1st-class degree overall. Simply not worth the time and monetary cost of resitting. Try and redo your exams in summer if possible, you may as well improve them as much as you can. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah it's certainly possible - and you should definitely seek help for any mental health issues you may be facing. From someone who...did not...for a long time, it can hurt your academics a great deal. Another thing is that your GP will be able to liaise with the university (possibly directly but more likely through issuing relevant documentation) to assist in making any necessary reasonable adjustments to support your academic studies. This isn't an arbitrary process, the university does actually have a legal responsibility there.

I would definitely speak to your GP and then see what they say - if they are a university based GP they will probably directly refer you to any accessibility/wellbeing teams in the university, if it's your "family" GP back home then you may need to do that yourself after getting any documentation from them. They can provide various things, from extra time in exams, learning aides like recording devices to record lectures etc, and refer you to other treatment/therapy methods (counselling, mentoring, cognitive-behavioural therapy, etc).

Definitely don't over-fixate on poor marks earlier on, as you can just end up spiralling because of it and completely losing the thread as a result (that was my experience unfortunately...). There are fortunately many examples of the opposite, like I said. Honestly most people at my uni (Exeter, so not like a "technically bad" uni) pretty much treated first year as a doss and didn't do anything academic at all and still got their 2:1 by the end.

ReputationRep:
    It is really hard making the first step to tell 'authority figures' about the difficulties you're going through, but it's definitely the right thing to do.

And thank you, my situation is looking up now

ReputationRep:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you pass, you pass....

if you fail you resit...

pretty universal.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    First year doesnt always matter.
    You may also be exaggerating how poorly you have done imo.
    I would probably quit the course and apply elsewhere if it really was that poor.

ReputationRep:
    I’m echoing what everyone else has said, the uni won’t really let you resit an exam you’ve passed, plus if you did scrap a pass, it’d probably be capped at 40%!

The uni I went to, I was told first year grades don’t actually count towards your final grade, only the 2nd and 3rd year grades count.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.